'81 Gs850g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 Gs850g

I just picked up an 850G and I would appreciate any help on a couple of problems. These questions may have been asked in the past, I just can't seem to find them. Sorry.

1st. When idling and at least a half a tank of gas it will drip out of the number one exhaust where connected to the motor.

2nd. The engine seems to have a new looking, very dry gasket at the top of the heads. While riding, oil comes out from near the number one position on the engine, I have not narrowed it down enough yet to tell exactly where it is coming from. Kinda hard to do also while riding. Enough oil came out yesterday, it covered the entire exhaust pipe on the left side. Good clean oil though.

I am going to remove the spark plugs this afternoon to see if any are not firing. The bike runs strong and had a lot of smoke from the oil burning on the hot engine.

Any help?

Thanks

Hmmm, I must have everyone beat.

I did not get to remove the spark plugs yesterday, but it looks like the person that replaced the upper head gasket wasn't much up on putting in a new gasket. There seems to be gasket running between the legs of the head. It may be the wrong gasket or it wasn't trimmed properly. I have never seen a gasket for this bike before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

It sounds like it's just excess material from the valve cover gasket. I didn't bother to trim mine when I replaced it, and there is a strip of material running fore and aft between the spark plugs. I left it during installation just to add some support, and was too lazy to trim it later. It hasn't caused me any trouble.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I have found out also.

It is sending out about a quart of oil every 5 miles while riding. I guess that I am giving up. I am going to take it to a local shop this evening.

Comment

It sounds a lot like the head was not properly torqued when the gasket was installed, but with a loss of a quart of oil in 5 miles, you need to quit driving the bike and fix the problem.

Consult Clymers/Haynes for instructions on the head, but if you can't do it yourself, then by all means get it to a mechanic right away.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

It is definately parked. That was the first time that I rode it. I have cleaned it up and I will be trailering it to the shop this evening. While they are at it, I will personally skip a step and get the carbs done/synced and tires.

Whew, that's ok though, this one will be more of a family ride, passengers will be more comfortable.

Comment

Well, bad news from the shop.

The guy wants to put in a complete head gasket set, rings, and a lot of other stuff. He has not cracked the engine yet. He also wants $900 to do this.

This is not going to happen.

His assistant, on the side, seems to have pointed out where the oil leak may be coming from. One of the center bolts on the rear of the head. I asked the guy what about just replacing the upper head gasket. He thinks it will take about $500 for that.

Not going to happen.

Does anyone know of a quick and safe fix for this?

Also, the number 2 intake boot is dry rotted and cracked. That is where the gas is coming from.

Does anyone have a boot or a set of boots, cheap, that they want to get rid of? The dealer wants $27/each for a complete set.

Thanks

Comment

If I understand you properly, you have a leaky cam cover gasket. You can probably pick one up for about 12 bucks. The 'gas leaking from the #1 cylinder" sounds like your needle and seats are shot, or your float has sunk. As for the intakes, I keep seeing a site called "Bike Bandits" or something mentioned. Check some other queries to be sure. 8)
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Parts source

Bikebamdits.com is a source for GS parts. To find the part you want follow the prompts. Even has exploded views of the parts layouts.

Comment

Yes, I have ordered from bikebandit before, they are a lot better than the local dealer here. I will be replacing the intake boot.

The shops assistant told me that he thinks the oil is leaking from just under one of the bolts under that gas tank at the top of the head. I am going to try and re-torgue first, but will silicone fix this until it is too cold to ride and I can replace this upper gasket?

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate your help and what this site has done for me.

Comment

Intake boots

My suggestion is to save yourself a future headache, and go ahead and order all four intake boots, and replace them as a set. That way, you KNOW the condition of all four, and don't have to order and replace them one at a time as they go out. Save any of the old ones that don't have leaks to use as spares in a few years when those deteriorate. Having a useable one on hand will keep you riding when you have the new set on order.

If it is the valve-cover gasket that is leaking, a THIN layer of silicone (VERY THIN, transparent even, so that it won't squeeze over the edges when torqued down) will get you by until you can get a gasket. Be sure to scrape away ALL traces of the old gaskets on both head and valve-cover sealing surfaces.

Comment

Thank you very much JJ. That is what I was hoping to hear.

I really didn't want to be down right now. I start vacation on the 3rd at 5pm. The company provides holiday pay through Friday and then I have the week off with pay, and I would rather ride and then complete repair.

Comment

Well, I got it back from the shop with new tires only.

I did find the leaky gasket. It is the Cylinder Head Cover Gasket right above the number 2 spark plug. I am going to order a new gasket at lunch. Is there anything that I need to be looking out for when replacing this?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X