gs 700es starting troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 700es starting troubles

Yes my 85 gs 7oo is having starting troubles. sometimes when I try to start it she doesn't start for all the tea in china. this is with full choke and some throttle, and every conbination there after. Then the next day it will start fine (full choke and some throttle), run fine, and continue to start and run fine all that day. Then on the third day we are back to not starting. This has gone on the the two weeks I have owned the bike. Tried draining out the bowls and restarting no luck. Also it does have new plugs. help me please?

ooo!!!

after reading the "Carb Problem" line of reply's I believe I have found my problem to be an air leak that has been mistakenly fixed by lowering the idle. This is because my first impression was that my idle was too low at start up ie. it died out and stalled repeatedly when I let it idle. But after 20 min or so it was fine at 1150rpm. and in order to get it to fire up at all I was giving it full choke and throttle. If there are any other possibilities I would appreciate a heads up... :roll:

Comment

Re: ooo!!!

Originally posted by covelle
      after reading the "Carb Problem" line of reply's I believe I have found my problem to be an air leak that has been mistakenly fixed by lowering the idle. This is because my first impression was that my idle was too low at start up ie. it died out and stalled repeatedly when I let it idle. But after 20 min or so it was fine at 1150rpm. and in order to get it to fire up at all I was giving it full choke and throttle. If there are any other possibilities I would appreciate a heads up... :roll:
      First...Are there any mods to your bike, pipe, jet-kit, pod filters, etc. ? You said you found an air leak. Where was it? Air fixes will not be fixed by lowering the idle. On my '83 750 before pipe and jet kit my starting procedure was full choke, no throttle and with a fully charged battery. I would check the following.
      1. If an air leak is present, correct leak first.
      2. Full charge on the battery greater than 12 volts.
      3. Thorough disassembly and cleaning of the carbs.

Comment

hey Dan, thanks for the ideas. The battery has been charged fully. The plan with the carbs is to have them cleaned and properly syncronized just as soon as I can get it started to get the bike to the man to have it done.

Comment

ok so nevermind about the air leak that could be another problem for a different day. when I checked the spark it was small and orange and the plugs that have been in the bike for about 1 hour of running time are blackening around the edges.

Help?

Comment

Working...
          X