No RRRRRR's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No RRRRRR's

I have a 1980 GS1000 It will start and idle, a little ruff. Carb's need to be Sync. What I want to know is why when I give it throttle it just dies. Starts right back up, rev's go up when choke is pulled, Can you help please.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Most likely the pilot circuit in the carburetors are plugged.
    When you open the throttle you get more air, but not more fuel.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Slides aren't rising because they are dirty?
      Clogged jets because they are dirty?
      Have you cleaned the carbs?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

similar

one thing you did not mention is if its stock or if your adding (there forth taking away) air pods to the bike?

the guys are all right so far, but i just got my bike and added pods and had the same problems. Fixed with a carb cleaning, bench sync (by paper clip), new jets and raising the needle. Also, make sure you spark plugs are set right.

Bike runs GREAT now and just raced my friends Ducati 749 and we tied ...... not bad for a thirty year old 750 bike from suzuki

younggun

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mike10,

I'm glad you found us. Most of the common questions/issues with these bikes are addressed in the links below.

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Is your airbox installed? Or, if you have individual pods, are they installed?

The carbs need to have some restriction ahead of them to run properly.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

pod restriction

I fond when working on my bike that a good CLEAN micro fiber cloth worked great to cause some restriction on the carbs when the filter(s) were off.

It worked well though because i had a friend to help, so be sure not to let the rag get sucked up into the body of the CV's. Those carbs can really pull.

ALSO don't restrict it too much because you'll end up making gas spill right out of the main body. It's messy and will give you a head ache at the end of the day (literally)

Comment

Still no RRRRR's

This bike is all stock I think, It was tore right down to the split cases. I did put the air cleaner on but did not help. A guy e-mailed me about some parts I want to sell He, told me about you guys plus a lot of good info. It appears I only cleaned a few parts following the Clymers manual. So I'm going to try what you all told me. And give these carbs another shot when my new orings get here. I already told the wife to pick out a helmet. Thank You all Mikey
                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
                  A guy e-mailed me about some parts I want to sell He, told me about you guys plus a lot of good info
                  Hey Mike, that was me

These guys will help you get it all back together and running, believe me!

Comment

Originally posted by YoungGunRodder View Post
                    I fond when working on my bike that a good CLEAN micro fiber cloth worked great to cause some restriction on the carbs when the filter(s) were off.

It worked well though because i had a friend to help, so be sure not to let the rag get sucked up into the body of the CV's. Those carbs can really pull.
                    Another trick I have used is to fold a shop rag in half and drape it over the carb intakes. Clamp it to the two outer carbs with hose clamps or zip-ties, making sure it's somewhat taut over the inner carbs. This will work well enough to take a trip around the block, but is not accurate enough to do jetting checks.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was wondering after tapping the needle jet out with a wooden dowel, how you going to tap it back in! Not much room inside there. Also is that carb cleaner he's doing all the spraying with? In the slide there is compression ring I don't remember seeing this stuff removed doe's it have to be? I have 2 sets of these carbs I'm taking apart the worst set to practice I don't want to make mistakes when I build the better set.
                      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by haggis905 View Post
                        Hey Mike, that was me

These guys will help you get it all back together and running, believe me!
                        I think the Guy I bought this parts bike from lied, If he rode this last summer it must have been pulled around with a car. Mike
                        [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

I was wondering after tapping the needle jet out with a wooden dowel, how you going to tap it back in! Not much room inside there. Also is that carb cleaner he's doing all the spraying with? In the slide there is compression ring I don't remember seeing this stuff removed doe's it have to be? I have 2 sets of these carbs I'm taking apart the worst set to practice I don't want to make mistakes when I build the better set.
                          They go right back in after cleaned if you line up the dowel. I use needle nosed pliers.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Air Screw removal ( NOT )

I drilled the caps off, Air Screws will turn in but when I try to take them out they go a few turns then stop solid. on all four carbs. They came right out of the old nasty carbs I was not going to use. NOW I,m scared!! if I boogger up the slot in the Air Screw I will never get them out.

These carbs, the Air Screws won't come out of look real clean. Like they were rebuilt not too long ago. Except the Air Screws. Can I clean the nasty bodies and put the new looking stuff in them? THANK YOU Chef1366 for the needle jet info they pushed right out of this set of carbs. Mike
                            [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

I drilled the caps off, Air Screws will turn in but when I try to take them out they go a few turns then stop solid. on all four carbs.
                              They used a drop of paint at the factory to lock the screw settings. Put some solvent, carb cleaner, PB Blaster, paint remover, etc. in the hole and let them sit, work them in a little and back out. Be patient, it will come when the paint dissolves. Only use a screwdriver that fits the screw slot PERFECTLY.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X