Rectifier question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rectifier question

I just picked up a 1985 GS700ED for some pocket change, could not pass up a good deal!! I am curious if the rectifier will work on my 1982 GS1100EZ???

Yes, but you will have to make an adapter.

If, for some reason, it happens that it's not a good r/r, contact Duaneage (member on GSR) for a replacement.

By the way, something in your question does not match. If the bike is an '85, it would be an EF. If it's an ED for sure, it would be an '83.

I just looked at the fiche for the '83 and the '85. There was no 700 ED in '83, so you must have an '85 700 EF. Either way, both of them have an r/r that has five tabs sticking out the side for the electrical connections, the '82 1100 uses a separate plug, so you will have to make an adapter.

Last edited by Steve; 10-14-2009, 06:02 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well thank you!! ANd you are correct, it is an EF. What color wires connect to what color wires though?

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I used a 1100/1150 model, if you read my old thread youll find out why ! LOL Anyway IF and I mean IF i have to relace it again I will use the late model ??? I would have to look up the thread but so far the larger one from the GS1100/1150 has worked great warm to the touch and regulating just like the orginal OE, I have noticed a few spikes but I'm sure thats another issue with Grounds/conn that will be repaired this winter. The Reg was cheap of Flea-Bay... There are soooo many threads on this site (Hondas/Yahmahas/Suzukis..Etc Just do a quick search R/R and wait and see how many threads...

Comment

Not sure what colors you have there, or what the terminals are on the 'new' r/r, but you should match function rather than color.
          The electrons can't see what color insulator is on the wire, they only go where they can.

Generally, a stock GS r/r will have a red wire and a black wire (with a white stripe) that might even be slightly larger than the other three, and that go to the battery, then three wires the come from the stator. Looking at the wiring diagram (page 32) in the 700 manual on BassCliff's site, I see that the three stator wires are all yellow. Connect those wires to the yellow, white/red and white/blue wires on the 1100's r/r.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X