1100 engine parts inchangability??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can some one provide a simple break down of 1100 (1150?) engine parts that are interchangeable between 1980-1983 GS1100s? (Engine only)

Are most of the parts the same on the shafties as the chain drives other than the obvious drive bits?

Here is a short list of what I need to rebuild my 1983 1100.

Head
    cylinder
    maybe a crank
    maybe a transmission (or at least some gears)

This is not a big rush so I am keeping a look out for parts little here little there as I go just not sure what all I can look for.

Are most of the parts between 1980-1983 interchangeable?

Thanks

If you do a search there was a thread a while back asking what the differences were between 80-83 GS1100E motors. That list is shorter than what is common.

It would be difficult to list all interchanges between 1150 and 1100 without specifying what you wanna do. Off the top of my head; heads, cams, carbs, and cylinders interchange but some cutting of 1100 cases is required/recommended.

Comment

Yeah I realize it is kinda a loaded question. I was just looking for the basics like all the cylinders and heads are interchangeable, etc. I did a search and didnt find anything maybe I wasnt typing the right key words. I will try again.

All I am really trying to accomplish is a somewhat stock rebuild even if it is cobbled up parts from different years.

Thanks

Comment

Title of your thread:

Title of an old thread:

need help...GS1100 engine parts interchangability

Grab a six pack and Use the advanced search and just put in GS1100E and read for a few hours; you will be surprised what you will find out.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
        Last edited by posplayr; 10-14-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

ALL of it interchanges EXCEPT you can't mix the 1100 & 1150 clutch hubs with the other's cranks. Call me at 714-356-7845 if you ever have questions about 1100/1150s or need parts. I have LITERALLY, tons of parts! Ask Jim or Bill. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            ALL of it interchanges EXCEPT you can't mix the 1100 & 1150 clutch hubs with the other's cranks.
            Ray is right, except for one small detail that was brought out in your earlier question:
            Originally posted by gsryder View Post
            Are most of the parts the same on the shafties as the chain drives other than the obvious drive bits?
            The answer here is a resounding NO.
            The chain-drive bikes have 16-valve engines, while the shaft-drive bikes have 8-valve engines.
            I think the only thing that is interchangeable between them is the oil filter, and I can't really guarantee that.

Last edited by Steve; 10-14-2009, 10:48 PM.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry, I thought he was referring to 16 valve motors. Ray.

Comment

Working...
              X