Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a good plaace to buy carb boots on line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a good plaace to buy carb boots on line?

I am trying to restore a 79 850GL and the carb boots broke off when I tried to pull the carbs out. The boots are very weathered and need replacing. My local dealer will get them for me at $35 each. Seems a little expensive. OK, I'm a cheap ass but does anyone know a good place I can price them on line and maybe save some money? Thanks for the help.

Spidey

Re: Is there a good plaace to buy carb boots on line?

Originally posted by Spiderman
    I am trying to restore a 79 850GL and the carb boots broke off when I tried to pull the carbs out. The boots are very weathered and need replacing. My local dealer will get them for me at $35 each. Seems a little expensive. OK, I'm a cheap ass but does anyone know a good place I can price them on line and maybe save some money? Thanks for the help.

Spidey
    Get the part # from http://www.bikebandit.com(check prices) then check out the price from http://www.ronayers.com should save you a few dollars. Why bikebandit first? Ronayers doesn't have a lookup for older bikes.

Comment

Spidey I have a set of four good carb boots from an 850, I don't know what year. The openings are both close to 1 5/16 and they are 1 1/2 inch long. There is no offset in any of them.
      Let me know if they are of use to you.
      S.

Comment

Hey silverhorse47, Yes i am interested. Do they have the metal bracket attached to them or I wonder if I'm supposed to fit them inside somehow. Let me know.

Comment

I must be stupid :x I can't seem to find a part number for the carb boots. on Bike Bandit.

Comment

carb boots lookup

I seem to remember them being under the CYLINDER HEAD microfiche.

Comment

I'll try that. Thank you!

Comment

from the head to the carbs? or the carbs to the airbox?

for a quick fix fix, try the plumbing section of a hardware store. i used 4 adapters thet change the pvc size from bigger to smaller. all worked fine.

Comment

Spidey there is no metal part...these clamp to a flange that should be bolted to the carb bank. They go between the carbs and the head as far as I know. I don't know what the rear boots are like on your bike.
                  S.

Comment

Yah, these are the boots between the carbs and the head. On my bike there is a metal bracket with two screws on the head and the boots were attatched to that. When I tried pulling the carbs out of the boots, the boots and all came off and left the metal brackets. As my bike sits now I have no way to clamp on new boots. All I have are these stupid brackets screwed on to the head. Any ideas?

Comment

I have the same problem, I took off my carbs, and the boots disconnected from the metal brackets on 2 of them. The rubber is in great shape, but there is no way to put on any clamp to hold the boot to the bracket. I was trying to figure out if there was any kind of heat resistant glue to re-attach the boots to the brackets.. I thought about JB weld, but someone said it breaks down in a short time.. I only want to do this once. any ideas on some type of glue to hold them boots on?
                      tom

Comment

Hey Max in Montreal,
                        Tell me more about these plumbing parts I can use instead of the expensive Suzuki carb rubbers. I need the ones from the head to the carb for a gs 1100. I have heard of people using rad hose, just cut to length. Only costs a few bucks & works great. Impervious to gas & vibration too. I think my rubbers might be different than the 850

Paul

Comment

For MagicTom, I had the rubber detach on #2 boot. I went to AutoZone and they had a variety of two part epoxys. The one I got said it was for all sorts of plastics, steel, wood, etc. Called "Permatex 5 minute plastic weld", but there are lots to choose from. So far (1 year later) it is still holding. Good luck!

Comment

addtl comment for MagicTom: if you use the epoxy, clean the rubber and the metal flange with brake cleaner and don't allow any excess into the bore of the boot... you don't want any excess sucked into the engine.

Comment

Thanks for the tips,
                              Luckily I was fortunate enough to meet up with Moto_dan last week and he provided me with a brand new set of boots.. perfect fit. I should have them on by tomorrow, Went camping the whole weekend, and couldnt think of nothing but getting home to work on the bike.. I think this is turning into an addiction real quick!
                              I will let you know if it fix's the prob.
                              Thanks again
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X