80 GS1100E Battery light on dash stays on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS1100E Battery light on dash stays on

How do you shut off the battery light on the dash, I guess its to show low water elev in the battery ? The battery is charging. Dont have an owners manual to tell me what it is for.

I'm assuming that you are talking about the light in the check panel? it was on on my bike and if i remember right i had a loose ground and fixed that and the light hasn't been on since.

Comment

That light has NOTHING to do with battery charging.

You are correct about the electrolyte level. The stock battery had a port on the top to accept a sensor that monitored the electrolyte level in one cell. You can still get that type of battery, but you would be better off just buying a sealed battery and connecting the sensor wire to a switched power lead, like the tail light.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, thats what I thought because my 82 GPZ750 has the same setup. So all I need is switched 12 volt power to shut it off if I understand you then ? I already have a new conventional battery in it.

Comment

Once you've tried the battery route and thats not worked then it can also be the control unit thats at fault. This is found under the tank by the coils. There's no fix other than changing the whole unit.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
            So all I need is switched 12 volt power to shut it off if I understand you then ?
            Yes, that's right. Find the sensor wire (I think it's green), see if it still has the sensor on the end of it. Remove the sensor, if it's there, find a way to connect the wire to the tail light wire, coil supply wire, horn wire, anything that is only live when the key is on.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Will do, green wire is still there, thanks a lot

Comment

Is it a solid green wire, or one with a stripe?

Any idea as to where I should look?

Comment

Working...
                X