GS1100 carnage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 carnage

Here are a few pics of the engine I picked up. The guy ran it in dwarf car dirt track racing. When I bought it the guy told me cylinder one was gone but he had not opened it up, so I basically bought it sight on seen. I paid $250.00 bucks for it but it was money I made selling other parts so I dont really have any money out of pocket in it.

I expected to see a piston with a hole in it or maybe a broken piston but this is exactly what was there when I removed the top end.

Here is the cylinder can these be re-sleeved or am I better of getting another one all together?

Pretty sure I need a new head also.

You can kinda see where most of the piston and lower cylinder sleeve went.

I still have to split the cases to see what the real damage is. hopefully its not a total boat anchor and I can cobble together some good bits to get a complete engine.

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
    When I bought it the guy told me cylinder one was gone but he had not opened it up, so I basically bought it sight on seen.

Well, he wasn't kidding! At least he was an honest seller.

I'd say the whole top end is shot. And all that piston material had to go somewhere. Have you taken the oil pan off yet? Your bottom end might be toast, too.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

That head doesn't look too bad but it will cost real money to have it welded up and machined back into shape. Chunks from that mess are sure to be all though out the engine. I'd take the thing back to the seller and ask for my money back. Saying one cylinder is gone does not properly represent what happened here. That guy must have experienced a ton of noise, smoke, etc., he ripped you off.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The guy was pretty straight forward when he was selling it to me and I knew what I was getting into. I dont feel ripped off I took a gamble and didnt get as lucky as I would have like to have, but again I dont have any money out of pocket in it so worst case scenario I have a big paper weight and some extra peices parts for another 1100.

Comment

Big paper weight?

You've got it

I think that motor went to the great parts pile in the sky. You can probably salvage a few parts here and there off it.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You buy that from Chef?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              You buy that from Chef?
              LMAO!!
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

GregB & myself bought a BUNCH of engines from a dwarf racer here about 2 years ago & I have NEVER seen people tear engines up like those guys! Not even DRAG racers! They even break the MOUNTS off the motors! All that stuff you have IS fixable. It is just a matter of if you want to spend the money to do it when you can get good, USABLE parts for less. If you send the crank to someone like GRC or Pearson Racing, you will get a BETTER than stock part back. Fast By Gast can fix the head, no problem at all. The block I would just replace. It can be fixed too but I will sell you 1100 blocks all day long for 75 bucks with no broken fins. You need to get the entire motor disassembled to see how much metal went into the trans & oil pump. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  You buy that from Chef?
                  Har de har har.
                  Actually mine looks golden compared to that mess.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I don't know Bill! I couldn't even make a running motor out of BOTH you guy's parts!!! LOL!!! Ray.

Comment

Okay took me a while to catch on to what you guys were talking about after I read a few of Chefs posts now I understand. Nice. LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
                        Okay took me a while to catch on to what you guys were talking about after I read a few of Chefs posts now I understand. Nice. LOL!!
                        If you don't want to fix it up, and decide to strip it for parts instead - I'm after a set of bare cases! I've got all the other bits I need, but my original cases were stolen some time back... And I can probably afford the freight on bare cases...
                        '07 Yamaha TTR 250 - Exercycle.
                        '95 Ducati 900 SL - Duclattery
                        '81 Suzuki/Yoshi GSX1135 ET/X - Yoshi
                        '84 Suzuki McIntosh - Mac
                        '74 Yamaha YZ125A - pain in the rrr's...

Comment

Working...
                        X