Turn signals not blinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals not blinking

I just put some new turn signals on my 1980 GS 850 GL. The bulbs are 12V 23W bulbs, which I believe is the correct wattage. I never had the old signals working - the bike has seen a lot of neglect and time outdoors, and I didn't both replacing the missing and broken bulbs.

Anyway, the problem is that all four bulbs turn on, but they just stay on and don't blink.

The signals do click when turned on - one side (I forget whether it's right or left) clicks once when they light up, and the other side clicks twice (once with the lights off, then once more when they light up a second later).

Anyway, each of the four signal lights is recieving about 8V. Is this low? From what I gathered from a quick search of the forums, if the current through the signals is too low, they will not blink, so I was thinking a low voltage input could be the problem.

If the input voltage is low, what would be my next step here?

Here's a before and after of the bike:

Have you tried a new flasher relay? Go to an auto parts store and get an electronic one. Only a bit more than the regular one, but less headaches. Doesn't matter about wattage of bulbs, it'll still blink the same.

Comment

My guess would be too much resistance along the circuit, try cleaning all the connections and grounds at the blinkers, inside the switch, and along the wiring to the flasher. The fact that it clicks probably means the flasher works, there's just not enough current to make it operate correctly.
      Last edited by tkent02; 10-15-2009, 12:32 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

you need to change your blinker fluid! http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6

it has been covered already but connections connections connections, Japanese manufactures like to use brass contacts and brass develops tarnish, the tarnish does not conduct electricity, the more tarnish the higher the resistance in the connections.

the hard part will be the switch, it needs to come apart and be cleaned and the dielectric grease replaced and there are lots of tiny bits in there.

Comment

I had the same problem with my gs450ga. I took off the plastic housing on the relay and it was covered with rust. I sprayed it with some electric cleaner and they work fine now

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys.

Looks like it's probably one of two things. I traced the wiring back from the signals and found some shoddy looking splicing along both rear signal ground wires. I'm going to repair those first and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then I'll clean up or replace the relay.

Now which one of these black boxes is the relay?

Comment

That one right in the centre on the right side, next to the rear brake resevoir. To the right of it is your self cancelling unit for the flashers.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
                you need to change your blinker fluid! http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6
                How can he change it?

KaleCo Auto has been sold out of blinker fluid for a LONG time.

I sent them an e-mail quite a while ago, asking when they expected another shipment and never got a response.

Hey, Audioslave, Nice work on the bike.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That one right there...

I got one laying on the work bench right now 'cause it's bad too.
                  The best price I have found for a replacement as of yet is about $41 plus shipping. OUCH!

Comment

Originally posted by mrb302 View Post
                    That one right there...
                    [IMG]

The best price I have found for a replacement as of yet is about $41 plus shipping. OUCH!
                    Autozone, Checker, Oreilly's Pep Boys, etc. $5 or less aren't they?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Autozone, Checker, Oreilly's Pep Boys, etc. $5 or less aren't they?
                      Only if you are willing to give up your self-cancelling signals.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cleaned up the wiring, but that didn't solve the problem. I picked up a new relay from Advanced Auto Parts for $13 that I'll hook up tomorrow (I'd do it tonight but the battery's on the tender).

I've never had self canceling signals before, so I don't think I'll ever miss them if I lose them. Hell, I think it's pretty nifty just having a light telling me when the signals are on.

Comment

Self cancelling is great. I like the Yamaha self cancelling system a bit better.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Those new small flashers look like the pair I have laying around here. Mine does not have enough space inside for the 23 W bulb.
                            Yours may be different, but was just wondering.

Try your utmost to retain the self cancelling unit as it may even save your life some day!

When it comes to flashers, bigger is also better, like many other things!

Comment

Working...
                            X