Question for all you 1150 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for all you 1150 owners

I'm having a real problem losing my left hand bar end weight. I've gone through two of them now. I don't understand it, the right side stays on just fine but the left one keeps coming off. I've cleaned the internal threads in the bar to make sure there is no oil in there and installed the screw with blue (medium) loc tite to no avail. Saturday I rode to the Tri Cities, about 60 miles, when I left there it was on and tight , halfway home I looked down and it was gone. Anyone with some bright ideas? This is getting frustrating, not to mention expensive. Needless to say I'm in the market for another bar end weight and mounting screw, if any one has one to sell.
    Doze.

Sorry Doze not a problem I have struck before, but I would be checking torque specs on all mounts, handlebar and engine, and maybe try the red loctite this time
    Dink

Comment

Nope, I haven't had the problem either.
      Did lose the Suzuki "plug" that goes in the middle of the handlebar clamp cover though .
      Could the threads in the bar be a bit worn, enough that the loc-tite can't do it's job. Maybe wrapping the threads on the screw with something would take up the slack. Maybe plumber's tape?? Never tried it myself though, just occured to me.

Comment

it is the evil bike gremlins, they are taking your bar end weight, just to drive you crazy!!!

Comment

I havnt had that problem
          but you could put some locktite on the bolt

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
            it is the evil bike gremlins, they are taking your bar end weight, just to drive you crazy!!!
            The upside is, if they're doing that, then maybe they're to busy to steal socks from the clothes dryer .

Comment

bar end weight loss

Haven't had that problem either- haven't even used loctite.

Suzookeeper Ger

Comment

Haven`t had that problem. On both my bikes I have used the type end that has the rubber grommet(using E model bars on ES`s). Then I put lead shotgun shot in the bars. Man that has worked wonders so far.

Comment

Re: Question for all you 1150 owners

I havent had that problem with my 1150E, but I'magonna tell you what I would do if I did. :-) Got to a marina or marine supply store and buy a small tube of 3M#5200 adhesive caulk. Smear some inside the handlebar with your finger and coat the bar insert with it, slide the insert into place and tighten as usual. Wipe off any excess with a rag and mineral spirits.
                  Let sit overnight. Guaronteeed it will be the last time you lose your end weight.

Earl

Originally posted by Doze
                  I'm having a real problem losing my left hand bar end weight. I've gone through two of them now. I don't understand it, the right side stays on just fine but the left one keeps coming off. I've cleaned the internal threads in the bar to make sure there is no oil in there and installed the screw with blue (medium) loc tite to no avail. Saturday I rode to the Tri Cities, about 60 miles, when I left there it was on and tight , halfway home I looked down and it was gone. Anyone with some bright ideas? This is getting frustrating, not to mention expensive. Needless to say I'm in the market for another bar end weight and mounting screw, if any one has one to sell.
                  Doze.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I thought about using red loc-tite, but I was afraid I'd never be able to get the screw loose again if I ever wanted to change grips. When I put my new grips on the last time I had to carefully heat the bar just to get the blue loc-tite loose. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to find another one and try again.
                    Doze. :roll:

Comment

My wifee's 250 Ninja has the same kind of weights. They are held on with a phillips head screw & the screws come from Kawasaki with the thread locker already on them. I've not been able to get one of these screws out yet, even with an impact driver. Every time I took one out, I had to drill it out. Not sure of exact screw size, but if one of them will fit, I'll guarantee your weight won't vibrate off with one of them in there.

Comment

Working...
                      X