questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions

OK, so I just got done riding my 1982 GS850G to work, and I have a question.
    Why does my cluster have a 6th speed indicator, but not allow me to shift into 6th?
    I think the previous owner put a newer guage cluster on at some point. What do you guys think?

Originally posted by zookie81 View Post
    OK, so I just got done riding my 1982 GS850G to work, and I have a question.
    Why does my cluster have a 6th speed indicator, but not allow me to shift into 6th?
    I think the previous owner put a newer guage cluster on at some point. What do you guys think?
    I think you're right. Probably from a 550.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

All the clusters have the 6th speed on them. It just does not show up on the models with only 5 gears. I bought one off an 850 for my 550 and it has the sixth gear on it which illuminates when in sixth.

Comment

Suzuki is the undisputed champion of parts bin engineering. It's amazing how many GS parts are still in use on current models, or were used for several years on many other models.

This is one big reason it's a little easier to keep a GS on the road.

Honda especially seemed to change everything every year, and since the death of the company founder, their famed 100% parts availability policy has gone out the window.
        Last edited by bwringer; 10-16-2009, 12:09 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X