Transmission jerk in 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission jerk in 2nd gear

If any of you have read my other posts, you will know that i currently have electrical issues. Well, this morning when I went for a ride a new problem arose. When I accelerate moderately or hard my bike will jerk. This only happens is 2nd gear. Any ideas??

Skipping out of gear and back in?
    Does the engine rev up for a split second?

If a PO did too much speed shifting the dogs on the gears can get rounded, then they can skip in and out like that.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by harasyn92 View Post
      If any of you have read my other posts, you will know that i currently have electrical issues. Well, this morning when I went for a ride a new problem arose. When I accelerate moderately or hard my bike will jerk. This only happens is 2nd gear. Any ideas??
      You may need to be more descriptive with your problem. What's jerking? Is the engine stuttering? How hard is the jerk?

Comment

It feels like the chain is slipping a cog and then re engaging.If I stay in 2nd from about 2k-9k it will jerk 2-3 times under moderate to high acceleration. Is it probably just my 2nd gear that is rounded?? If so how much is it to fix/rebuild tranny? And would a hands on guys like myself be able to fix it or do a tranny swap from and parts bike?? Thanks for any input.

Comment

The bike is bucking?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by harasyn92 View Post
            It feels like the chain is slipping a cog and then re engaging.If I stay in 2nd from about 2k-9k it will jerk 2-3 times under moderate to high acceleration. Is it probably just my 2nd gear that is rounded?? If so how much is it to fix/rebuild tranny? And would a hands on guys like myself be able to fix it or do a tranny swap from and parts bike?? Thanks for any input.
            If you avoid running it hard in 2nd and making it skip it will last forever, keep an eye out for a parts bike with a solid engine/trans, or if you are mechanically savvy enough try your hand at repairing it. Find a set of gears for it on ebay or whatever. Not that much to it, do you have a manual for the bike yet?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Requires engine removal. You do have to split the cases. You should be able to just turn the engine upside down and remove the lower case. Cheap way don't use 2th gear or to find another trans on ebay. Common problem with MC that may have had a rough life. No matter how many people say it is ok to shift without the clutch. Eventually it will round the gears, it may take 20-30K miles but eventually it happens
              Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2009, 06:04 PM.

Comment

could i just tighten the chain? Would that possibly stop it?

Comment

If the chain is THAT loose, you probably need to change the chain and sprockets.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Skipping 2th gear has nothing to do with the chain

Comment

Check the sprokets. You'll be able to see if they are worn enough to jump the chain.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X