GSX 400E twin -anyone got one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX 400E twin -anyone got one?

Hi. I found a cheap GSX 400E for sale; it would be a good city motorcycle. There's oil seeping on the engine block somewhere close to the right exhaust which also seems a little moved (the first part of the exhaust pipe is a little higher and to a different angle compared to the left one). I suspect some mild (?) crash however the bike has crash bars and couldn't normally have the pipe hit with the crash bars installed.
    There's little information on the net regarding this Suzuki twin. Anyone knows some things about it? Apart from the electrics are there any know problems? And how much do you reckon it's worth?
    A search on this part of the forum revealed a single thread which was about engine oil .
    Any help/information appreciated.
    Thank you!

differences in termonology. US GS400 Europe GSX400

Comment

From gs400e himself ...

I've got 2 in the past and one right now of these little gs . It's easy to get one here since I live in Montréal aréa cdn . These model was not imported to U.S. . In these years ( '83 and '84 ) the only very similar bike U.S. get was the gs450ed . Same frame ,forks , wheels , plastic & tank in the katana styling . Only the cylinder , piston & the head was different . Same mikuni bs34ss cv carbs too . The gs400e also know as gs400s and gsx400e in europe and asia was produce until '87 . I think here in Cdn it's was avalaible until '86 . If you want body and chassis parts , just click gs450ed in a site like bikebandit.com .
      Now about the motor himself : take care .... many one told me that the head was made of cheese . But never had trouble with them . Just more valves to adjust ; 8 instead of 4 for the gs450 . These 4 valves per cyl. like to rev, more than the 2 valves design . That why maybe some find the engine was weakier than the old 400 ( before '80 ) & 450 .

Comment

From gs400e himself ...again

Just saw that you are not from U.S. but from Roumanie . Cela devrait être plus facile de trouver de l'information en europe pour votre gs400e qu'ici en amérique .

Comment

Originally posted by gs400e View Post
          Just saw that you are not from U.S. but from Roumanie . Cela devrait être plus facile de trouver de l'information en europe pour votre gs400e qu'ici en amérique .
          Yeah, I'm from Romania. Cela devrait mais c'est pas le cas. Il y a pas beaucoup des informations. Le seul site sur GSX 400E que j'ai trouve c'est:
          personal,motorcyle,suzuki,gsx,400,250,fettkettenkasten,becker,touring

Enough with the French. I have put the same question 2 days ago on oldskoolsuzuki (mostly British users) and I haven't got any sort of response.. so yeah.. they're kinda rare. It's a '83 model.
          GS400e.. anything you'd think I should know? I don't mind receiving answers in French as long as others don't mind that.
          Thank you!

Comment

I have a 1982 GS400E (Canada ) that I love !

Comment

To cooler

Good German site about the gsx400 Mr Cooler . Just hope Mr Jorgs dump the chain box before a major katastrophe . When using gsx400 instead of gs400 ''s'' or ''e'' , it's could be confusing since there are a four cylinder version , named with the gsx suffixe in the mid '80 ( right now the descendant is the Impulse 400 ) . I previously deliver all what I know about ours little 400 here at 10:25 yesterday .

Comment

Working...
              X