"Performance" spark plugs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Performance" spark plugs ?

I never bought into the Splitfire plugs as being anything special, but has anyone tried platinum or iridium plugs? NGK, which is usually pretty conservative about it's plugs performance claims, seems pretty high on Iridium plugs. I have read reports of a 2-3 horsepower gain on the Dyno using them. (They're kind of pricey though).

I have no experience with Iridium plugs but I am useing Splitfires in both my bikes at the moment. Right after installing them I did notice that both bikes had a crisper throttle response. As for horsepower... who knows. After awhile it just felt like it always did. You get used to it. I'll probably just use standard plugs next time. If anyone is or has used Iridium plugs I'd like to know how they worked for you also.

Comment

I doubt you could measure the power difference on a stock bike with any special plugs. Precious metal plugs will last longer under ideal conditions, and that is the biggest benefit they offer.

I'm sure the Splitfire research results are out there to find (not advertising claims), but doesn't an electrical spark jump the smallest gap? Certainly there can't be enough performance gain to justify the premium cost for plugs that don't cost much more to manufacture.

If all the splitfire claims were true, wouldn't the auto manufacturers use them as OEM in order to improve their fleet fuel mileage and emissions performance?

Comment

I've always thought electricity followed the path of least resistance, so why would it jump to two different electrodes at the same time, wouldn't it jump to the one that the least resistance?

Comment

You will only get one spark, but the V is supposed to force the spark to the outside igniting the fuel mixture better. :roll:

Comment

Toyota has been using iridium plugs in some of their cars, and advising their use. I'm sure it's for longevity reasons. But Honda has been using them as oem in their new 450 motocrosser, so it made me wonder if their might not be some (very slight) performance gain. Of course, buying an iridium plug for a single at around 8 dollars (US), wouldn't be so bad. Buying 4 of them for a gs would be a bit expensive. NGK rarely makes performance claims for it's plugs, but they make these iridium plugs sound pretty good. If nothing else, it might be the last time you'd have to buy a plug.

Comment

I use Bosch silver palladium plugs in my Tractor(1150 for the newbies) and was recently given a set of NGK Iridium plugs for my Katana,I do mean given BTW I was asking my local parts shop about a set of Bosch's for the Kat and when asked why mot Iridium I rubbished NGK plugs due to a previous bad experience, it turned out the guy standing behind me was the NGK rep so he sent me a set of Iridiums to try, unfortunately my Katana is being rebuilt as we speak so I have not yet had an opportunity to try them I will however let you know when it happens.
              Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                I use Bosch silver palladium plugs in my Tractor(1150 for the newbies) and was recently given a set of NGK Iridium plugs for my Katana,I do mean given BTW I was asking my local parts shop about a set of Bosch's for the Kat and when asked why mot Iridium I rubbished NGK plugs due to a previous bad experience, it turned out the guy standing behind me was the NGK rep so he sent me a set of Iridiums to try, unfortunately my Katana is being rebuilt as we speak so I have not yet had an opportunity to try them I will however let you know when it happens.
                Dink
                Just send them down to me and I'll give them a try for you. Come and collect them when the Kat is finished. :-)

Kim

Comment

i stick to the NGK plugs that are recommended for the bike...its the correct heat range unlike splitfire and iridium plugs u cant get the right one, plus i bench tested two plugs the stock and a split fire the split fire only jumped to one side not two and the NGK had a fatter spark besides those other NGKs can get the gap bridged faster and wear out faster and cost more money...pretty much usless theres a reason why they specifie a kind of plug for a motor

Comment

plugs,..

I used to know a auto parts manager & parts fanatic who brought his race car to the track with every brand and type of plugs for his car, the only plugs that helped him any were the bosch platinum +4 plugs, (those are the 4 electrode airplane/mazda rotary style) plugs

Comment

I bought iridium plugs just after I got my bike. I didn't know that you're supposed to change plugs every 9000km, and went about 18000km.

they still looked fairly decent at this point after 18000km, and I probably could have used them more if I didn't fould the Sh1t out of them.

not sure if i noticed any increase in performance....but I've got a standard plug in now, and am going to see how long it lasts, and depending on that, I will either buy/not buy iridium plugs .

Comment

Spark Plugs

Platinum or Iridium plugs will last longer, whether or not that's worth the extra expense? If they cost 4X as much they better last 4X longer.

These special plugs make sense on today's new vehicles because, have you tried to change plugs on today's cars? Some are damn near impossible to get to! You definetly don't want to have to be changing them every 12,000 miles.

On my bike, the plugs are easy to get to so the high priced plugs don't make sense for me.

As for better performance, I think you would be better off investing in a set of Dyna or Accel coils and get the higher spark voltage.

MP

Comment

my montana van has 110 000 km on it and i bought it brand new with 14 km, never changed the plugs yet still runs like always, mayb its just the way i take care of my things

Comment

Bu***r ive just bought a set of them splitfire plugs for my gs1000 and going by whats been said here I should have stuck to the stock jobs.O well see what they go like for a while now ive got em .
                            Trev

Comment

I ran a set of standard NGK's in my 79GS850 Changed them at aprox 10K miles, They looked like they would probably go another 10K

Comment

Working...
                              X