Broken valve spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken valve spring?

I was checking my valve clearances today and I noticed that the bucket from the exhaust valve on #2 will not push up against the cam. The cam lobe will push it down but the bucket does not spring up to put pressure against the cam. Could it be a broket valve spring? Just a stuck valve? What am I looking at here?

It could be a bent valve. That would be my guess. Pull the carbs, & exhaust to look into the ports. If it is a bent valve the head will have to come off. If it were mine, I would just be pulling the head already. Ray.

Comment

Well, I did buy this bike as a learning project and it's turning out to be just that. At least i'll have something to do this winter.

Raz

Comment

no matter what.. that's sounding like the head needs to come off. Take your time following the manuals and don't loose any parts and you will be all set. It's not that hard of a task.

Comment

Just curious what would cause a bent valve? I plan to change the valve seals while I have the top end out but what else should I look at?

Comment

Check the valve to valve guide clearance and the condition of both the valve and valve seats in the head.

Bent valves are rare unless the cam timing jumped and the valve hit a piston.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

pull the cam out and get the bucket up and off look and see. chances are you are going farther . check all valve clearances first and write it all down all information , draw diagrams or take digital photos. it will help the first few times you tear down an engine.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                pull the cam out and get the bucket up and off look and see. chances are you are going farther . check all valve clearances first and write it all down all information , draw diagrams or take digital photos. it will help the first few times you tear down an engine.
                Valve clearances are checked and recorded. I'll start with pulling the cams and buckets since I'd have to do that anyway to remove the top end and then go from there. Is there a way to check the valve seals without actually taking them out since if I take them out I have to replace them? I know they're inexpensive but Z1 is out of stock on them and I don't want to pay the stealer their exorbitant prices.

Comment

Z1 is not the only supplier.

They're not the cheapest this time, either.

Alpha Sport 6.77
                  Babbitt's 4.01
                  Bike Bandit 5.01
                  Carolina Cycle 4.42
                  Cycle Re-Cycle 2.79
                  Full Throttle 4.41
                  Motogrid 4.26
                  PartShark 4.08
                  Parts-n-More 2.00
                  Ron Ayres 4.67
                  Z1 2.16

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Depending on the Gasket kit you get you may find valve seals are included... I found one for my 1000G for about $45 for the whole kit.

You'll probably want to replace the base gasket at the same time as the head gasket anyway.

I can't find the link now but it's the same gasket Nessism used in his 1000 so he'll prob be able to tell you the brand.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Here you go... it was an Athena. Parts n More do them. Price is a little higher than I remember, maybe the $45 was on Ebay or different supplier.

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

You'll probably want to replace the base gasket at the same time as the head gasket anyway.

Dan
                        Excuse my ignorance but is the head gasket the valve cover gasket and the base gasket the one below - between the crank and the cylinders? Also are there any special tools that I would need to remove valves, seals etc.? I have watched the video on valve installation on BassCliff's site so I know about the C-clamp and cut out PVC pipe. I assume I can use the same set up to remove the valves but is there anything else?

Comment

There are 3... (or 4 if you count the breather cover gasket) starting at the top, valve cover gasket, head gasket, Base gasket. Base gasket is literally right on top of the transmission, head is about half way up & valve cover is about 1.5" from the top if that makes sense.

You'll need a valve spring compressor of the right size is the only thing I think - I haven't done one myself on a suzuki. I have seen pics of ones people have adapted to work on here. Someone will show you a pic.

Find out what Chef1366 uses - he changes a head for breakfast before going to work
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            Dan
                            Ok, please help me understand this. If I'm only removing the top end whay would I have to replace the base gasket? I can see replacing the head gasket and the valve cover gasket.

Thanks,

Raz

Comment

you can remove the valves with a hammer and a deep socket
                              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                              X