I need a fuel float/gauge expert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a fuel float/gauge expert

I am wanting to install a fuel gauge on my Katana. They don't come with one so I am thinking about using an 1100e float/gauge set up. BUT...

I am only interested in low fuel and would like to use an led to indicate approx where the level would be when I go on reserve now.

I have been scouting for aftermarket kits with no luck. Does anyone have one from an old wrecked tank I can mockup and fab with?

Or, does anyone have any great ideas on how I can accomplish the task? Remember, I don't want a fuel gauge just a low fuel warning LED.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

You could borrow an idea from Honda. My wing has no REServe position, in fact, it has no petcock at all.
    (Well, it does have a vacuum-controlled fuel valve, but it's the highest point in the system and there's a mechanical fuel pump in the system, so why the valve???)

Anyway, ... just in case the dropping fuel gauge does not catch your eye, there is a light that comes on about the time that REServe would be needed. If the tank is filled when the light comes on steadily (not just the intermittent flashes), it will take 5.1 gallons every time, and the total tank is rated at 6.4 gallons. The way they do this is with a thermistor. This is a device that will change resistance based on temperature. A current is run through the thermistor and, since it is sitting in the fuel tank, the gas will carry away the little bit of heat that is generated. When the fuel level gets low enough that it won't cool the thermistor, its temperature rises a bit, triggering the circuit to turn on the LOW FUEL light.

I just looked through my service manual and it does not show any details for the circuit, only that it exists and how to test it, but I'm sure that someone here on the board might have some ideas for a circuit.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have an 03 gsxr fuel pump and thermister here. I an trying to figure out how to adapt it to my tank. the current formfactor is much too large to use as is.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
        I have an 03 gsxr fuel pump and thermister here. I an trying to figure out how to adapt it to my tank. the current formfactor is much too large to use as is.

Are they built together? because you don't need the pump, only the thermister. There must be some way to drill a hole and mount it to the inside of the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
          Are they built together? because you don't need the pump, only the thermister. There must be some way to drill a hole and mount it to the inside of the tank.
          yeh it could come apart but unsure of the wires that come with it and they have to be sealed passing through the tank. The wires that is. The gsxr has a big rubber bung in the mounting plate where they exit but can't be transfered to to my tank.

I have been trying to find a universal aftermarket thermister set up but no joy yet.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

SWEEEEET!!

found just the ticket.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item58839e78d6
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

AWESOME perfect. just drill/cut a hole, weld in some sort of nut, seal the weld and you're all set!

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                AWESOME perfect. just drill/cut a hole, weld in some sort of nut, seal the weld and you're all set!
                Yeh, simple, I'll just get the thread size and machine a bung. the sensor comes with an O ring. seal. I see the 2000 cbr 600's have the same sensor.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                X