X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member with a Doosy of a bike...

And by Doosy, I mean...

What in God's name happened here?......

So hello to everyone, Im happy to be a new member here at the GS Resources Forums, and I am the proud new owner of a 1982 GS 1100 GK.... Or what used to be one.... The PO was a bit excentric, and well, just a little crazy in my humble opinion, but a saint none the less.

I had to sell my chopper to take care of some family issues, and to the rescue came a totally annonymous friend with this bike. Im really not sure where to start, as all my previous bikes have been v-twins, and well, not quite the basket case this one is...

For starters, the frame has been cut, lowered 2" in the front, and bobbed in the back to make room for a 2001 Electra Glide tank, a Dyna rear fender, and a honda (the chrome one) front fender. Some bighorn bars, and about 2 dozen spikes and skulls. The exhaust looks to be a home-made 4 into 1, (confirmed by removing the headers and having 1 come out of the megaphone)... No airbox, mikuni's have k&n filters on them, and a road king seat.....

So as you can see its got some work ahead of it... and truthfully Im not sure that it will ever make it back to stock after the frame mods, so Im thinking of either making it some sort of wild bagger, or a bobber...

Anyhow, the bike starts, and after cleaning about 2 tons of laquer and goo out of the carbs, raps up nicely, however there is oil almost pouring from the oil filter cover, onto the headers of course, and a nice mosquito fogging cloud coming from the exhaust. I feel a complete overhaul coming on and could use some help. I'll get some pics posted as soon as I can so everyone can see what Im working with here.

Any pointers or advice would be appriciated. Also I need to find a full engine gasket kit if anyone knows of one that can be purchased on a budget. Wife + kids = perpetual brokeness...

Anyhow, Hello to all, and look forward to shooting the breeze

"All who believe in telekinesis, Raise my right hand"

Pics

Ok here are some pics I just took to help you better visualize what I'm talking about....

Comment

Hi Mr. usmarine1979,

That's a very interesting looking bike you have there. Perhaps a few new studs, acorn nuts, and an O-ring will fix your oil leak? You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my website. Let me say "Hi"...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

I anticipate new studs and acorn nuts as being the probable cause for the leak, but as a precaution I'll be rebuilding this motor from the bottom up... weakest link etc etc... blah

I tried trusting a PO on a previous bike ("the motors in great shape") just to throw a rod bearing....

Lesson learned.

Anyone have any ideas to throw out about the prospective new design of the bike, Im open to suggestions?

Comment

That GS engine is as strong as an anvil, I wouldn't worry about rebuilding unless it has 100,000 miles on it or if some bonehead PO didn't adjust the valves and now they are all burned.

Good luck with your project.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Not to sound argumentative, but I've always learned the hard way that if I do a top end rebuild, the bottom end will break, weakest link and what not... any ideas as to what would be causing the blue smoke from the exhaust then? I was guessing rings
            Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2009, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Go with what the guys upthread said for now. Spend some time on the oil filter cover................3 new studs and 3 new acorn nuts along with a new oring. In fact, if it was me, and the studs and nuts were holding the cover on nice and tight I'd just go with a new oring. Bet is was pinched during the last oil change. Those engines are pretty strong, so unless previous maintenance was non existant and the motor has been run very hard, I would think the engine is ok.
              Since you indicated you're on a budget this should be pretty good news for you.

Comment

So....THAT'S what it would look like if Harley built an inline 4! LOL!!! Good luck with your bike & if you ARE going to rebuild the motor, split the cases, change the cam chain, & all the engine seals too. Chances are you will NEVER have to do it again to that motor in your lifetime. Ray.

Comment

if the tank was swapped to a tear drop tank from an L and the rear fender moved a little and a few minor things, that wouldn't look bad. there was a lot of effort put into that and it's just lacking on execution really.

Also, I bet it wouldn't take hardly any effort to straghten out your oil issues. Heck, I bet there is some nice GSers who would be willing to come take a look/lend a hand if you ask nicely.. some respond well to bribing them with beer and if its a long day, maybe a burger or something!

Comment

Originally posted by usmarine1979 View Post
                    Not to sound argumentative, but I've always learned the hard way that if I do a top end rebuild, the bottom end will break, weakest link and what not... any ideas as to what would be causing the blue smoke from the exhaust then? I was guessing rings
                    Sorry, I missed the part about the smoke fogging. You may be right about the rings, valve stem seals could cause oil burning as well. That GS bottom end has a roller bearing crank and is very stout, so hopefully it will be fine.

Good luck and enjoy.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So do you think that a top end only rebuild would be sufficient? I'd love to hear that... after further checking, there are 2 bolts broken off (recessed) in the head from the exhuast so it looks like I'll be taking the head off at least to drill / helicoil them back in. Hopefully I can get this thing screaming so I can work on cosmetics.

Thanks guys for the input, keep it coming!

Anyone seen one of these with a batwing fairing? I think it might look pretty nice w/ that and some hard bags... and has anyone fabricated side covers to incorporate an air scoop on each side to bring air into the carb filters?

Comment

Greetings. As mentioned, the top end is the place to start. It is hard to say what that bike has been through in its' lifetime but one thing for sure; you've come to the right place if you want it to run right.

Other than the coils hanging out for the whole world to see...I think it is a great place to start some custom fab. As for getting it back to stock, I'de find a slightly less molested bike to work on.

Welcome to the GSR...

Comment

Sweet! I'll be at least tearing apart the top end very soon then. Hopefully I can get away with just that.

In case the rings are shot, what is the general concensus? re-sleeve and bore out? or just get new rings?

Comment

Originally posted by usmarine1979 View Post
                            Sweet! I'll be at least tearing apart the top end very soon then. Hopefully I can get away with just that.

In case the rings are shot, what is the general concensus? re-sleeve and bore out? or just get new rings?
                            Measure, compare to stock spec, then choose a course of action.

Comment

So thats the coil mod Ive been hearing about.

Hey, love the name. I stood on the yellow footprints at MCRD San Diego June 25 1979 !

Welcome. Semper Fi !!
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X