HELP! Trouble Removing Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Trouble Removing Fuel Tank

I'm trying to remove a fuel tank on an 80 GS550. The nut just keeps turning and won't back out. Am I missing something???? It turns counter clockwise right? I've tried putting pressure on the nut as I'm turning it, but it just acts like it's stripped. Help! Thanks.

try using a screw driver to apply upward pressure while you are turning

Comment

Trouble removing Fuel Tank

Thanks SlowPoke. What do you mean by "upward"? I've tried using a screwdriver to put "backward" pressure on the nut, but no luck. I can feel the end of the screw as I'm turning and it's not moving.

Comment

If it turns fairly easily, you may be able to take a pair of needle nose and use those to turn while you try to pull it out... I've done this a few times on bolts that the threads were stripped just enough that they wouldn't pull straight out.

Then all you have to do is repair the threads (either replace the bolt, or re-thread the reciever).

If it's the head that's stripped you can either try a smaller socket (9mm instead of 10mm) or chisel/cut/grind a slot in the head to recieve a flathead screwdriver.

Comment

Try the screwdriver idea. It's simple, and it works.

Since the bolt goes directly into a threaded part of the frame, unless someone used a longer bolt, and attached a nut underneath, (you did check that, didn't you?) you can push the tip of a flat-blade screwdriver as much as possible under the bolt head, and pry upwards against the head, while turning it counter-clockwise.

Even better, put the screwdriver blade under the flange on the tank, as close as possible to the bolt, and use the screwdriver as a lever against the frame. This way it is less likely to slip.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

lefty loosy, righty tighty

Comment

Trouble removing Fuel Tank

Thanks to all who responded. I tried all of the suggestions and then some, but I finally had to drill the head off of the bolt. Got it though. Now time to tidy up the inside of this fuel tank. After sitting for 14 years, it's pretty nasty in there.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X