have to pull shaft bolt ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have to pull shaft bolt ??

i started unbolting rear wheel and i see that the shaft bolt is one piece allw ay through hub, cant get it out cuz pipe on RH side is in the way, dont tell me you have to remove exhaust pipe!

if so then i give up now, cuz thats not gonna come off without broken bolts.. and more parts needed, in which i will not get for this bike, is not worth it, ruins the whole point

thanks for anything

You should be able to take the axel out, put the bike in gear, and wiggle the rear wheel away from the shaft drive. You may be able to unbolt the end of the exhaust so that it will flex out of the way giving you clearance.

Comment

What happens if the shocks are loose.

What happens if you take the shocks off first? can the swing arm move up or down enough to clear the exhoust pipes then? Be careful with the shock studs. They are welded in, and are prone to striping. If the nut binds at all back it out and chase the nut and stud with 10mm X 1.25 tap and die. Then rinse the nut out with generous amounts of WD.

If you get this thing on the road you might just want to sell it that way. Cuz its gonna cost you to keep up and runnin. everything from charging problems to carb problems are a headed your way.

Its cheaper to fix them on these older bikes than it is on newer ones. + you'll learn as you go.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
        You should be able to take the axel out, put the bike in gear, and wiggle the rear wheel away from the shaft drive. You may be able to unbolt the end of the exhaust so that it will flex out of the way giving you clearance.
        its chain drive and theres no way the exhaust is gonna move out of way enough unless i completely removed it..
        i have a feeling the bike is going ot be junked, nice sharp clean bike and done with its life already, i wont spend on it to have broken bolts fixed, not worth it. only rode it three days ever..
        stupidest axle and pipe design ive ever seen,, sheesh..

thanks though

Comment

Re: What happens if the shocks are loose.

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
          What happens if you take the shocks off first? can the swing arm move up or down enough to clear the exhoust pipes then? Be careful with the shock studs. They are welded in, and are prone to striping. If the nut binds at all back it out and chase the nut and stud with 10mm X 1.25 tap and die. Then rinse the nut out with generous amounts of WD.

If you get this thing on the road you might just want to sell it that way. Cuz its gonna cost you to keep up and runnin. everything from charging problems to carb problems are a headed your way.

Its cheaper to fix them on these older bikes than it is on newer ones. + you'll learn as you go.
          hmm ill try that, i just had the shocks unbolted last week, hmm.. easy, i will try that, thanks

update: got brakes off, now to find replacements.
          i wonder if i would have eventually thought to remove shocks or not to get the hub off, hmm,, i assumed the worst too soon, i need to work on that, just have had alot of stupid things go wrong lately, not related to the bike.
          i feel better now, blood pressure dropping again.

ASK A177FF mad ein japan are the numbers on the brakes, can anyone tell me anything about them that i should or need to know ?

thanks!

Comment

I may be too late, but you do not need to pull the axle out to get the wheel off. I thought you had to the first time I did it, and I think I removed the exhaust if memory serves right. That isn't difficult, but can be hard to reinstall if you don't have someone to help you.

Here's an easier way. Loosen the axle bolt. At the very ends of the swingarm, just behind the axle, are the chain tension adjusters. You can remove those very easily, by taking out one or two bolts. Then, you'll notice that the axle sits in these forks in the swingarm that are completely open to the rear. All you have to do is push the wheel as far forward as it will go, then pull the right side back. This will twist the wheel, making it easier to get the chain off the sprocket by just rotating the wheel. Once that is off, you just pull the wheel back and off the bike, without messing with the exhaust. At least that's how it works on my 550.

Comment

Working...
            X