removal of fork caps.....1980 gs1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removal of fork caps.....1980 gs1000e

gentlemen,,,, i have a 1980 gs1000e,, with air over forks ,,,,, NOW i have my new progressive springs,,,, and the the is supported under the front section of the motor ,,,,, when i remove the caps ,,,,,,,,,are they going to hit me in the head ....... there,s no air in them and i,ve drained the dirty oil ,,,, i ask these questions as there is nooooooo help in my little hick town ,, only alot of mature aged pensioners with walking frames and motorised wheel chairs ..... i,d be greatful for your exellent help ,,,, regards david from kaniva ....

The fork tops have some spring tension, it will want to pop up an inch or so. Loosen it with a hand over the top, it won't fly away.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by lesliew51@hotmail.com View Post
      gentlemen,,,, i have a 1980 gs1000e,, with air over forks ,,,,, NOW i have my new progressive springs,,,, and the the is supported under the front section of the motor ,,,,, when i remove the caps ,,,,,,,,,are they going to hit me in the head ....... there,s no air in them and i,ve drained the dirty oil ,,,, i ask these questions as there is nooooooo help in my little hick town ,, only alot of mature aged pensioners with walking frames and motorised wheel chairs ..... i,d be greatful for your exellent help ,,,, regards david from kaniva ....
      This will help with all your questions!
      Page 6 specifically.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      The fork tops have some spring tension, it will want to pop up an inch or so. Loosen it with a hand over the top, it won't fly away.
      Dang it, TKent... You always beat me to the answers... and forks are the only thing I can be somewhat helpful with.

Comment

Depending on the spacer size you use ? a short piece of PVC pipe can help with leverage to push the cap down to get the threads started

Comment

Originally posted by kinnet View Post

Dang it, TKent... You always beat me to the answers... and forks are the only thing I can be somewhat helpful with.
          Your answer was far better.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Jack up the front so the wheel is off the ground to unload the spring

The cap will not fly off and bash you

The Progressives may be a bit harder to get back in

Be sure to add the new oil before the springs (since you measure for oil height)

Doubtful you'll need any air pressure afterwards
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
            X