Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever installed a kick stand kill switch???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever installed a kick stand kill switch???

GS'rs,

Since riding my new bike i have twice forgotten to pull up the kickstand. As nothing has happen thus far (or because i noticed prior to anything happening) has anyone ever installed a kick stand kill switch or anti start switch?

I know that new bikes have it setup so you cannot start the bike into first gear unless the kick stand is up, but is there a way to do it with ours?

Also i have seen in some posts that there might be an indicator light in the cluster, Is this true for all bikes? I have a 1980 750E

I have an 82 850G that had a side stand switch on it. It could be wired up to the kill switch from the handlebars and there you go. simple and easy. side stand down=engine won't run, side stand up=engine will run. You just won't be able to let it warm up without either putting it on the center stand or sitting on it.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by YoungGunRodder View Post
        Also i have seen in some posts that there might be an indicator light in the cluster, Is this true for all bikes? I have a 1980 750E
        My '82 750E has exactly that. Just a sidestand down indicator light. Does not prevent you from riding away.

My wife's 1997 GN125 allows you to start with the sidestand down if you pull the clutch, but kills the engine if you shift into gear with the stand down. That fooled me a couple times

Comment

If you want to wire in a cutoff, it should involve the sidestand switch and the neutral light. Once you take it out of neutral, and the sidestand is on, it cuts off.

You can do it with two relays that have NO and NC circuits (an SPDT relay) -

Each relay coil is wired into the appropriate light/switch circuit, so that when the light for sidestand or neutral would be activated, the relay is actuated. We'll call the neutral relay A(R.A), and the sidestand relay B(R.B). You'll just split the ignition wire and insert the following -

Switched input of A is connected to ignition wire. The normally closed(off, default) side of the relay output goes to the input of relay B. The normally open(on, actuated) side of relay A goes out toward the coil or your coil relay mod sense.

On relay B, the normally closed(off, default) side goes out and combines with the other output wire. The normally open side is left unused.

........._____.........._____
          Ign.====|.....|N_C=====|.....|N_C========Coil/Coil Relay
          ........| R.A |........| R.B |......./

........|_____|N_O-....|_____|....../
          ...................\_______________/

Input table:

A | B | o
          ---------
          0 | 0 | 1 - neutral off, sidestand off, run
          0 | 1 | 0 - neutral off, sidestand on, shutoff
          1 | 0 | 1 - neutral on, sidestand off, run
          1 | 1 | 1 - neutral on, sidestand on, run

A capacitor on the output side wouldn't hurt to buffer the transitions, but I would only do that with the relay mod, nit the stock config.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2009, 08:46 AM. Reason: cap

Comment

That sound great. Just like i'm used to with modern bikes. Safety with a mix of convenience.

Are these electrical items ones you can get from an autozone or hardware store? Or is it something that is special order?

I have a friend who can wire it for me, i would just want to have everything ready for him.

[/QUOTE]
            A | B | o
            ---------
            0 | 0 | 1 - neutral off, sidestand off, run
            0 | 1 | 0 - neutral off, sidestand on, shutoff
            1 | 0 | 1 - neutral on, sidestand off, run
            1 | 1 | 1 - neutral on, sidestand on, run

A capacitor on the output side wouldn't hurt to buffer the transitions, but I would only do that with the relay mod, nit the stock config.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Warning light, even a buzzer if you need it is OK.
              Anything that kills the engine is just asking for trouble, if it erroneously kills the engine at a time when you are depending on it.
              Sounds like a very dangerous safety device.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Warning light, even a buzzer if you need it is OK.
                Anything that kills the engine is just asking for trouble, if it erroneously kills the engine at a time when you are depending on it.
                Sounds like a very dangerous safety device.

This is a very valid point, but on the flipside, it's a feature that plenty of other bikes do just fine. You'll have to decide whether you trust the electronics to not die at the absolute most inconvenient possible time.

The relays for it are pretty common and should be available at most auto parts places. Just make sure you get the 5 pin ones that are SPDT, not the SPST.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderfreek View Post
                  This is a very valid point, but on the flipside, it's a feature that plenty of other bikes do just fine. You'll have to decide whether you trust the electronics to not die at the absolute most inconvenient possible time.

The relays for it are pretty common and should be available at most auto parts places. Just make sure you get the 5 pin ones that are SPDT, not the SPST.
                  The point is very valid; there is a member here (Tone I believe) that had a Friend high side on a high speed sweeper into on coming traffic when a relay powered ignition failed.

It can happen; any people are running coil mods relays.

The critical issue however are:
                  a.) how reliable the parts are
                  b.) failure mechanisms
                  c.) how things fail.

I designed a complete safety interlock system that involved both side stand, neutral, and clutch. It is most reliable to have the ignition powered by a relay that is normally closed and actively disable that circuit when the kick stand is down. That way if the kickstand down switch were to fail the ignition remains unaffected.

Also some relays are better than others and commonality doesn't make them more reliable just cheaper.

My link for your consideration:

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
                  Last edited by posplayr; 10-22-2009, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    I designed a complete safety interlock system that involved both side stand, neutral, and clutch. It is most reliable to have the ignition powered by a relay that is normally closed and actively disable that circuit when the kick stand is down. That way if the kickstand down switch were to fail the ignition remains unaffected.
                    That's the key point.

Any system should fail to 'safe'.

Any system that fails to anything else is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Comment

Aw come-on guys. These are old bikes. How about old time values (which still apply to modern tech today btw)? Like LOOK THE F*CK DOWN before rolling away. Like EVERY time, no exceptions.

The best "safety device" ever made is YOUR BRAIN. USE IT!!!
                      Yeah you can wire up whatever you can imagine (as the factories indeed have), but you can't wire up common sense.

So how about skip the hours of posts/wiring diagrams/discussions on 'how to do it' as far as kick stand kill switch etc and focus that energy on riding/improving your riding, and perhaps improving the rest of your none-motorcycle life [hey i'm an old guy so I am allowed (i.e. I "allowed myself") to rant]....

Comment

Originally posted by andrewpogany View Post
                        So how about skip the hours of posts/wiring diagrams/discussions on 'how to do it' as far as kick stand kill switch etc and focus that energy on riding/improving your riding, and perhaps improving the rest of your none-motorcycle life [hey i'm an old guy so I am allowed (i.e. I "allowed myself") to rant]....

You take too much liberty.

In system design there is a presumption of humans making errors. Errors should not result in injury or death (to an acceptable risk level). However, the addition of a safety feature needs to make the system more safe not less. That is the challenge.

BTW most of the safety features described are available in more modern bikes as standard equipment. Much of the safety functionality I described are standard on the 2nd Gen GSXR (that is what I studied to understand Suzuki's later safety implementations).
                        Last edited by posplayr; 10-22-2009, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                          That's the key point.

Any system should fail to 'safe'.

Any system that fails to anything else is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Thanks for making that more obvious. I have been an engineer so long that the criticality of "fail-safe" design is presumed.

Comment

all sounds pretty interesting but I prefer less wires than more on my bike

Also I prefer to start the bike, and then put my gear on while it warms up. Unless its 40s out by the time I got my stuff on the bike is ready to roll but still would not want to have to do that wait sitting on the bike.

I have had my engine cut at 75mph 2 lanes away from the shoulder on the highway fully packed .... make that over packed for camping. It was a wire that got pinched under the seat and shorted causing a few blown fuses. Regardless i would prefer to have as few reasons as possible for that happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              The point is very valid; there is a member here (Tone I believe) that had a Friend high side on a high speed sweeper into on coming traffic when a relay powered ignition failed.

It can happen; any people are running coil mods relays.

The critical issue however are:
                              a.) how reliable the parts are
                              b.) failure mechanisms
                              c.) how things fail.

Also some relays are better than others and commonality doesn't make them more reliable just cheaper.

My link for your consideration:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=143674

Much more elegant solution than mine, I must say. Well thought out.

Comment

Working...
                              X