No announcement yet.

so i hit a dear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the dear here really truck along. And they don't even use turn signals. Oh well. He took off so I didn't get any of his insurance info either. I'm gonna hop on over to the local cycle salvage. Maybe ill just spend a whole day there and piece together an entire bike

Comment

Speaking of insurance...you have some......right ?
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Yeah I have insurance. But. No license and no inspection. So. I would probably get less from insurance than the tickets would cost me. So no claim was made

Comment

get better soon man, you were very lucky!
          I have a set of the plastic side covers from my '79, which i think will fit(one has a broken post, but should be fixable) Let me know if you want 'em.

Vic

Comment

What would you want for them? I don't have a whole lot of money right now

Comment

Glad you came out in 1 piece more or less. Did you get to keep the deer meat ? Heal up quick and be well your very lucky.

Comment

Glad to hear your ok... I somehow ended up watching youtube videos of people hitting deer on bikes, I've seen people in wheel chairs to peoplehitting them at 85+ with only fairing damage....It could be alot worse either way

Comment

Glad to hear you are mostly alright. Breathing is good after one of these encounters. I had my shot at deer hunting some years ago on my Yamaha cruiser with a 20 valve sport bike motor. Hit it mid air as it jumped over a coop the fox hunters put up to block the entrances to fields around here. My National Plexifairing broke, but threw him over my head before he hit me. I went sliding down the road with the bike sliding ahead of me. It hit the gravel on the side of the road stood up and crashed down on the other side. The bike was a real cosmetic mess. I was so ****ed that I was up and chasing the deer who was hopping away on two front and one back leg. I ran out of steam about time I got my hands on him. Most likely wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done. Took years to get control of the rages acquired in Vietnam.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Wow.
                    Not many do this and live to talk about it.
                    Sounds like you're on your way to recovery, worried about the bike and all.

I know someone who hit a tractor at 50mph(here come the redneck jokes) 2.5 mos ago and it still in the bed with a busted up body. Says he'll never get on another bike as long as he lives.

Good luck to ya!!
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

So you hit a dear. Oh, deer!

Bambikiller Nick Diaz
                      Middletown, MD

Comment

I try to hit as many dears as possible...keep in mind I am a single guy.

I hit a deer in the spring. No idea how I walked away. Scary stuff. The bike is back together and well if that helps.

Comment

Well I'm certainly glad you're alive and getting better. You were very very fortunate. And now, a short scolding. If you don't have a license you need to get one. And after this I would a
                          strongly suggest you take the safety course. It is a tremendous teaching tool. It goes a good way into teaching you evassive manuvers. Now I'm not suggesting that it would have prevented you incident, as sometimes those horned bastards just appear out of nowhere. But it would probably have helped in teaching you to be more aware of situations such as this and when and where to watch out for things like this. The BMV course at least in most states does none of this. Glad you were wearing a helmet too but what else were you wearing for gear? Enough tho I'd say you've probably learned a valuable lesson in this. Unfortunately at the cost of blood skin and pain, but fortunately not the cost of a life. Be carefully out there guys. This is a bad bad time of year to be riding in the country or burbs after dusk. Glad you're gonna make it.

Oh and on the bike
                          make absolutely sure that frame is straight. Even a slightly tweaked frame can lead to big time handling issues at speed. Good luck on the rebuild when you get started, but take your time. It's nearly winter now and you have four months or so to work on it.

Comment

yeah all in all im ok. in a bunch of pain but i only missed a day of work. the main things i am mad about are that i had just changed the oil and then it all came out. i had filled up the tank that morning, and the weather is suposed to be beautiful all week. oh and the fact that i hit that thing in the first place. everyone except for my grams is mad at me because i already started working on the bike pulling broken stuff off. oh well. im probably done riding this year but i cant help but want to get it fixxed back up before the snow falls. but i also may have found a few bikes that an older lady wants me to get out of her garage. an early 80s 1150, late 70s 1000, and a pair of 80s gsxr 750s. i think ones an 85 and ones an 87. suposedly all 4 run good and and were on the road at the end of last summer. i think she said that there was some other bikes in the barn and a bunch of parts too. i did also see a really old zuki racing jacket that i want. and i cant really beat the price of nothing. but like most good things, im willing to bet that nothing is in as good of shape as she says they are.

Comment

oh yeah and the license thing is because of me having a heavy wrist. not because im a new rider. i havnt taken any state run courses but i have attended a few track days on a cbr. but i definetly promote the idea of taking pretty much any kind of courses.

Comment

Well either way I can tell you from experience that not having a motorcycle endorsement, at least in this state, is an F4. That's harder punishment than a DUI. Odd yes but the last thing you need is to fight a felony for riding. They might take your license away for good.

At any rate. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X