so i hit a dear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    make absolutely sure that frame is straight. Even a slightly tweaked frame can lead to big time handling issues at speed. Good luck on the rebuild when you get started, but take your time. It's nearly winter now and you have four months or so to work on it.
    Abs rock solid advice. There will be a LOT more stuff wrong than you think with that type of collision. Trust us on this one. I hit a deer (not a 'dear'...whole 'nother series of stories if u know what I mean) in OH on 71S heading to Columbus from Cleveland about 6 yrs ago in my daughter's Accord at dawn. Going 'bout 70 and one of the scariest moments of my life. Me fine, car totaled. It came outta nowhere and the time between when I saw it and when I hit it was less than the time it takes to lift your foot off the throttle. Crazy sh*t. The thing literally peeled the hood back to point that it slapped the windshield and I heard the deer hit the roof as well (could see it as the hood smacked into windshield totally blinding me). Survived no injury, but not fun calling my little girl at 7am explaining that Daddy crunched her car that she was kind enough to lend me (mine had a blown head gasket a few days before and was in the shop at the time).

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    i also may have found a few bikes that an older lady wants me to get out of her garage. an early 80s 1150, late 70s 1000, and a pair of 80s gsxr 750s. i think ones an 85 and ones an 87. suposedly all 4 run good and and were on the road at the end of last summer. i think she said that there was some other bikes in the barn and a bunch of parts too
    Are you kidding me? Ditch the crashed bike and ride all of these if you can and pick the best one and be done with the whole business. If you can't ride/won't start, then pick ur favorite, buy it cheap, lean on all these great guys on the GS site and be done with it.

Comment

Sorry, I messed up who I was quoting. Sorry CafeKid.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Piester
      i also may have found a few bikes that an older lady wants me to get out of her garage. an early 80s 1150, late 70s 1000, and a pair of 80s gsxr 750s. i think ones an 85 and ones an 87. suposedly all 4 run good and and were on the road at the end of last summer. i think she said that there was some other bikes in the barn and a bunch of parts too

My prev comment stands....if you have access to all these great bikes (and will be able to walk/ride/etc), by ALL MEANS take advantage and take a look and prob buy a new un-messed-up Suz.....

Comment

sooo since no one else already did, I guess I'll be the sick guy to ask for pictures of the wheels??

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
          Bambikiller Nick Diaz
          Middletown, MD
          Been there, done that.

Bambi Basher x2
          (but not with the bike)

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've hit two in my lifetime, one with the Jeep, the other with my truck. The largest one was done in with the Jeep (200+ lbs).

Comment

Geez, and all I've done is kill a Black Angus bull with my 1966 Suzuki T-200 X-5 Invader. I feel so left out.
              Glad you are O.K., Piester. What part of the country do you live in? Perhaps a fellow GSR person could lend a hand?

Comment

Last deer I hit, I ate with a big smile.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Glad you're OK. I hit a deer a couple years ago while I was on my '82 850 going about 60-70. Same thing - right into the side of it. No telephone pole involved, so I just broke my collarbone and hammered my hip and ankle pretty well, but everything healed OK. No fun. Somehow I managed to pick up the bike even with the collarbone broken - adrenalin is amazing stuff. People told me I was lucky, but if I had been lucky, I wouldn't have hit it in the first place...

As for the bike...without careful measurements, it's hard to tell if something is bent. With mine, one fork tube and the steering head were bent, but it was not obvious from looking at them. It wasn't until I held a straight edge against the tube that I could tell. And I didn't realize the steering head was bent until I tried to put together and the forks weren't parallel. Once I replaced the tube and triple tree (and the tank, turn signals, fender, gauges, headlight, handlebars, and mirrors) it runs and handles fine.

Good luck with the healing. It takes a while...

Comment

Did she press charges?
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Did she press charges?
                      Sounds like they settled out of court

Comment

Peak times

I have always been real careful around twilight and early morning runs. One evening outside of Grand Junction (coming off of Grand mesa) had a deer go OVER me, actually kicked me in the helmet, just caught him out of the corner of my eye! The guy behind me was in shock! Wished he had a camera.. I have also ridden into herds of them over by Durango, just been darn lucky, was able to slowdown evade injury and damage.

Heal first, be thankful your still alive, then look over the bike a little closer..

Comment

ok small update. shoulder feels a good bit better. knee is still jacked. turns out none of those bikes have titles. aparently no one ever told these people that storing bikes in the basement of your garage when you live next to a creek isnt the smartest idea. needless to say they all have water damage. the 1150 isnt much more than a bent frame with a few worthless parts on it. the 1000 isnt a 1000. its a 750 that was suposedly bored and stroed to 1000. with open exhaust and pods. but was run on the stock 750 carbs with no rejetting. ouch. i wonder why it stopped running. lol. both gsxr's have been laid down. badly. and youll never guess what was in the oil of all these bikes. water . a lot of water. how does that even happen. the 750/1000 also had metal chunks and shavings. there was an older bsa there too but that ones not for sale. most of the parts were either kawi or honda parts. i wish i had taken pics for you guys. it was a sad sad sight. so im back to square one. nothing that was there was usable for me. no plastics. no stator covers. the 750s cover has cracks all over. so if anyone has any parts they wanna get rid of. mostly the stator cover. please let me know

Comment

piester, any '83-84 Kawasaki ZX750A parts?

Seat, and body plastic.

TIA,

Eric

Comment

I have a cover sitting here, let me know where to send it.

Comment

No body plastics at all. Except broken ones. Badly broken. I don't know for sure about the seat. Next time I go there ill make a small inventory of what is usable.

Comment

Working...
                                X