X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chain tension

what tension is correct for 80 GS450L chain ? stock 16 and 41 sprockets*

thanks

When sitting on the bike,at the mid-point between sprockets,you should have about 3/4 to 1''of slack.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Agree with that. Then compare to what the the adjustment is when on the centre stand so you can do it on the stand as well..usually it will tighten up the clearance when you sit on the bike.

Make sure you check the adjustment on a few spots aropund the chain as you may have tight and loose spots..set it on the tightest spot

Comment

it was way tighter than that when i removed my rear wheel to get brake shoes off.

it was lined up on sixth adjustment mark from front of bike with stock 16 and 41 teeth

alo while im talking about teeth what would happen to my ratio if i increased rear sprocket to 45 teeth from a 550 ?

would it help lower top end RPM ?

thanks

Comment

If you increase the number of teeth on the back sprocket you will increase your RPM, as the front sprocket has to turn more to rotate the back wheel one time. If you want to lower the rpm, decrease the number of teeth on the back sprocket or increase the number on the front sprocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone
            If you increase the number of teeth on the back sprocket you will increase your RPM, as the front sprocket has to turn more to rotate the back wheel one time. If you want to lower the rpm, decrease the number of teeth on the back sprocket or increase the number on the front sprocket.
            true, i got ya now,

i divided rear teeth by front teeth and got ratio and did it with the 45 tooth and well yep it would hurt top end RPM so..

thanks! i need to find like a 38 tooth rear then stock is 41 on 80 GS 450L i believe

thanks

Comment

Make sure that you spin the wheel and check all sections of the chain. After a chain starts to wear, it develops loose and tight sections. You need to set your slack for the tightest section of the chain. If there is a big difference between the tightest and loosest section then the chain should be replaced.

Comment

awesome, would soaking chain in tranny fluid or penetrating fluid help any if chain is in good shape other than a few sticky links ?

thanks!!

Comment

I am not sure but, I think tranny fluid would eat the rubber o rings on the chain. I clean mine in kerosene and lube it with blue label PJ1 chain lube. Periodic maintenance will lead to chain life longevity but it will wear out. If you have kinked links, I would just replace the chain and the sprockets too. You don`t want to be miles from home and have a chain break!

Comment

ok, cool, well oil also does the same thing to rubber, just look at oily hot old rubber engine parts and you tell me if they last long...
                    oil and rubber dont mix either, so.....

prove me wrong and ill agree with you then.

anyways on the chain tension how many lbs of pull force in center of chain in order to find out correct tension measurement ? more you pull then the more slack you can get out of it, and anything else in life too.,

and how much tension difference does one mark on the rear frame axle forks make, for the wheel fore and aft adjustment*

thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X