another clutch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another clutch problem

I just bought a 1979 gs850, when it's cold and I start it up and pull the clutch handle in and put it in gear, it jumps forward. And I have not let out the clutch lever, is this an adjustment problem or something else?

Could be an adjustment problem but more than likely the oil is thick when cold, it sticks to the fibers and steels and causes this.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What weight oil do you have in?

Try adjusting out the adjuster at the top end a little. Should be about 1/16" gap where the lever parts from it's frame when it's properly adjusted.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have know idea what weight of oil is in it, it does not look black so i have not changed it yet, It does have some thick grips, I thought it might not let me pull the clutch lever all the way in. There is no slack at the clutch lever.

Comment

If the bike has not seen regular use, the fiber and steel plates in the clutch basket can get "stuck" together. I would make sure that the cable is adjusted properly at the handlebars and at the engine. The adjustment screw on the engine should be turned in untill resistence is felt and then backed off 1/4 of a turn. Change the oil, and get some miles on it (100 or so).That should get the plates to loosen up. If that doesn't help, the clutch basket may be worn causing the plates to hang up. If it only happens when it's cold, and only in 1st gear, my bet would be on stuck plates and not a worn clutch basket.

Comment

I had this same problem last year, do a search and the responces should show up. Briefly, I removed the fibers and steels, soaked the fibers in clean oil, scuffed the steels with scotch-brite, changed the oil and adjusted the clutch arm(small adlustment=big difference) I also found the shifting fork behind the clutch basket was off by one tooth. It was frustrating to figure out, but has worked great ever since. Good luck!

Andy
            1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
            1984 GS1100GK
            1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
            1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
            1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Working...
            X