coil works no spark Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil works no spark Help!

I Have a 81 gs450, i have one coil that is working fine and the bike will start right away, the other coil will not get a spark, I took the other coil down to the mechanic and it tested good. The turn signals are also not working. Any ideas of what needs to be done?

Two separate issues it sounds like.
    If it tests good at the shop, you could havea a bad spark plug, or bad ignitor. Have you tried putting the suspected bad coil on the other side of the bike?
    For the turn signals, what do they do (or not do)? Know where the relay is? 2 terminal? If so, bridge across and see if you get the signals to come on solid. If they do, replace the flasher relay.

Comment

Swap your plug boots to see if the problem moves to the other plug. The boots die sometimes.

Kim

Comment

If, after following the above advice, you are still nowhere, try swapping the electrical connections at the coils, and shift the plug boot wires as well.

This will move the good coil to the other cylinder, and keep the ignition timing intact. If it still does not work, you are not getting an electrical impulse to trigger the coil, so you need to look first at the connectors, then the wiring, then the points or ignitor (not sure if you have standard or electronic ignition)
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X