Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advise converting a GS1150ES to look like a GS1150E

Hello,

I just recently purchased a 1985 GS1150ES model and I am happy with the bike overall. I am just curious to know what parts/modifacations would I need to convert the front end to look like a GS1150E model without the fairing? The fairing is sort of growing on me However, I have always liked the look of the E model w/o the fairing. just looks like more muscle to me. any help would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for a rear shock that will fit my bike if anyone has any advice where I might find one please advise.

Thanks,

Sean

Headlight ears, & assembly, instrument mounting brackets, back cover for instruments will work, but the mounting slots on the sides will look funny. Your handlebars will work, but are different , much lower than the "E" bars. Front turn signals will work, but are shorter than orig. "E" signals, I actually like the short ones better. I think the master cyl. may be slightly different, but if you use your "ES" bars, it won't matter, may not matter much anyway.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Are you planning on selling the fairings after the conversion? I know someone who is looking for a set.
      PM me if they're for sale.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by sdodson View Post
        Hello,

I just recently purchased a 1985 GS1150ES model and I am happy with the bike overall. I am just curious to know what parts/modifacations would I need to convert the front end to look like a GS1150E model without the fairing? The fairing is sort of growing on me However, I have always liked the look of the E model w/o the fairing. just looks like more muscle to me. any help would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for a rear shock that will fit my bike if anyone has any advice where I might find one please advise.

Thanks,

Sean
        With my ED, without the 1/4 faring it was dangerous at above 110mph as my helmet would violently shake up and down.

With the 1/4 fairing I can smoothly run till I starve the float bowls. (Pingle just ordered but not yet installed)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          With my ED, without the 1/4 faring it was dangerous at above 110mph as my helmet would violently shake up and down.

With the 1/4 fairing I can smoothly run till I starve the float bowls. (Pingle just ordered but not yet installed)
          You keep doing that and your pistons will look like Chef's.

And, you just need to get used to riding a naked bike.
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

So Pos, does it feel the same as running out of fuel, like just before switching to reserve....or just that your bike won't rev any higher? Some have recommended changing to a Pingle for RS or FCR slide carbs, but many seem to be running with the stock petcock too.

Originally posted by sdodson View Post
            Hello,
            I am just curious to know what parts/modifacations would I need to convert the front end to look like a GS1150E model without the fairing? The fairing is sort of growing on me However, I have always liked the look of the E model w/o the fairing. just looks like more muscle to me. any help would be greatly appreciated.
            Thanks,
            Sean
            FWIW, I think your bike looks great as is, but here is a member who has gone the naked route too....

Tony.
            '82 GS1100E

Comment

Just an opinion, but those are some of the best looking fairings on any bike ever.
              They look worse without them, I don't know, kind of bony looking?
              Don't know if they work very well, though, never ridden one.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                So Pos, does it feel the same as running out of fuel, like just before switching to reserve....or just that your bike won't rev any higher? Some have recommended changing to a Pingle for RS or FCR slide carbs, but many seem to be running with the stock petcock too.

say you roll on from 60-80 mph to doing about 120-125 and you see tach fall back 500 RPM. My first reaction has been to let off the throttle.

This doesn't happen on my usual daily comute to work . Has happened twice that I can recall.

From a standing stop to 100 mph it would not happen as it happens too fast.

I'm running Mikuni 147.5 mains with 1150 36mm carbs. I just got the Pingle yesterday.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Mr sdodson,

Welcome !!!!! And............

You're crazy !!!!!

That is one of THE BADDEST 1150's Ive ever seen !!!!!!!!

Just my .02.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Just an opinion, but those are some of the best looking fairings on any bike ever.
                    They look worse without them, I don't know, kind of bony looking?
                    Don't know if they work very well, though, never ridden one.
                    They make damn good sails in strong crosswinds. Ask me how I know!

And I agree, they do look narrow gutted naked, from the front or rear. They look great side on though.
                    They were originally designed to cut the air, hence their being named the fastest production road bike in '84. That big TSCC mill had a bit to do with it too!

Comment

Thanks for the input rphillips. If there is no way to the conversion will look exactly like the GS1150E model then I more then likely will not even attempt the conversion. My brother had a GS1150E blue/white and I just loved the way it looked naked. I do like the way my bike looks from the side view but from the front it just reminds me of the old chips show they way Ponch and John's old bikes looked like. look at the picture and tell me what you think?

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Headlight ears, & assembly, instrument mounting brackets, back cover for instruments will work, but the mounting slots on the sides will look funny. Your handlebars will work, but are different , much lower than the "E" bars. Front turn signals will work, but are shorter than orig. "E" signals, I actually like the short ones better. I think the master cyl. may be slightly different, but if you use your "ES" bars, it won't matter, may not matter much anyway.

Comment

Thanks Larry for the kind words. Right now I am just asking out of curiousity. just wondering what the conversion would intel. Again appreciate the kind words.
                        feels really good to hear that. I personally think I stold the bike for $2k. The bike only has 14,890 miles on it.

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                        Mr sdodson,

Welcome !!!!! And............

You're crazy !!!!!

That is one of THE BADDEST 1150's Ive ever seen !!!!!!!!

Just my .02.

Comment

I do like the fairing from the side view but not much from the front view. I posted pics of the front view too. tell me if it doesn't remind you of that old CB call 7 mary 3 we are in route! hahaha

Comment

You know I used to wake up and have a great big bowl of dumb@$$ I would hope on the back of my brothers GS1150E and He would pull it up in second and just walk that bad boy to 4th gear before sitting the front wheel down, here is where stupidity comes in to play, we didn't have helmets. one time we made 5th gear in a wheelie, I would feel him shifting while on back, and when he hit 5th gear he would throttle it trying to hold it up but the rpms were just to low to hold it up. but I learned to lean back while he shifted to 5th and that would help us stay on top of the pivet point and allow him to work the throttle and hold her up it was the longest wheelie we ever rode together. probably set the front end down around 120 or so. he was 34yrs of age about 165 I was 18 about 170 pounds. True story guys. then ofcourse I ended up with a GS1100E and followed in my brothers footsteps trying to be the wheelie king I did hang it up all the way to 4th gear several times, but I never could get to 5th gear while in a wheelie. I guess I never found anyone stupid enough to ride on back with me. lol

say you roll on from 60-80 mph to doing about 120-125 and you see tach fall back 500 RPM. My first reaction has been to let off the throttle.

This doesn't happen on my usual daily comute to work . Has happened twice that I can recall.

From a standing stop to 100 mph it would not happen as it happens too fast.

I'm running Mikuni 147.5 mains with 1150 36mm carbs. I just got the Pingle yesterday.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1743

Comment

This is only other one that I'd put ahead of your bike, as far as 1150's go that I have seen.

This is Mr renobruce's bike, it's as original as it comes.

Your bike looks nothing like Ponch's bike......

Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X