83 1100 beyond hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100 beyond hope

Bought a couple of 1100L's a couple of months ago, thought I might get both going, at worst one of them going.. Well, after diving into the 83 it looks like compression is under spec for three and four cylinders. Getting 120# on one and two, 88-92 on three and four, noticing stripped/busted casing taps for ignition cover, lots of other stuff... Going to start to checkout the 82 tomorrow... Might get one bike from the two, part the rest of the 83...

Why is the compression low, has it been sitting forever?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It has had some rough treatment..

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Why is the compression low, has it been sitting forever?
      It has had some rough treatment, ridden real hard, scraped covers, beat up old Mac header (bottom ripped up pretty good), 56,000 miles. Guy I bought it from said he had it running last spring, but was running rough. Carbs had a lot of rust/crap (older VM Miks) in the bowls, tank is a mess, bad kreme job. I may tear into it for parting, will be able to tell more about it then, my hunch is that it has been modified, and then thrashed..

Comment

Check the valve clearances before you decide its no good on compression

Comment

Good idea..

Originally posted by woodman View Post
          Check the valve clearances before you decide its no good on compression
          Yea, could be, may just do a diff on it before that..

Comment

Got a pic of those old VMs?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeap

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Got a pic of those old VMs?
              Yea, I'll post em tomorrow.. I was going to take a closer look at em also..
              Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Pics

Here a pic of those VMs. Some other problems, ground crank end, weld on main front mount, could be from a wrecked machine?

Comment

Those may be 33 smoothbores. Measure the bore of the intake side.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Those are NOT, I repeat, NOT 33s!!! They MIGHT be 29s, but they are definitely NOT 33s! The 33s have a different shaped cap than those & the caps on the ones in your picture are just like stock VMs & 29 smoothbores at BEST! I hope this helps, Ray.

Comment

Not 33s, yes the caps. From looking at the filter side of the inlet the air jetting doesn't look like 29mm smoothbores either. Float bowls appear to have overflow barbs also. I'd say stock VMs.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                        Those are NOT, I repeat, NOT 33s!!! They MIGHT be 29s, but they are definitely NOT 33s! The 33s have a different shaped cap than those & the caps on the ones in your picture are just like stock VMs & 29 smoothbores at BEST! I hope this helps, Ray.
                        Gee Ray, are you sure??????

Comment

Naw..

There 26s, I am going into both engines now see if I can make out one of the two, both frames are solid, nothing bent major. Probably just rebuild the VMs, they are a better performance carb, although not big enough for major mods.. Starting on the front end of 83, pulling both engines... Once I'm done, may have a few parts for sale...

Comment

Working...
                          X