81 GS 550L restoration question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS 550L restoration question

Hi Guys, I'm new to the motorcycle and GS world. My friend gave me an 81 GS 550L to fix up and ride. Basically, everything is frozen from rust on the bike. I have freed the shifter and front brake, and I am currently working on the rear brake. There is a spindle with teeth that goes through a hole in the frame and attaches to the brake lever and brake linkage. I cannot get this spindle out of the hole. I have soaked it in mineral spirits, used PB blaster, a large adjustment tool (sledgehammer), and god knows what else. Does anyone know if there is something on the back of the spindle that's preventing me from removing it? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
    -Mike

The linkage going to the back drum brake is on the other side. I was just looking down in the dark with a flashlight, but I didn't see an immediate way to get that linkage off (plus mine is encrusted with dirt...). Maybe there's a ring you have to expand (whose proper term escapes me at the moment) that will let you take the linkage off. It could also be the case that you have to pull that spindle out instead off pushing it in with a sledgehammer.

Does the lever not work at all? Maybe if you can twist any rust inside loose by pressing the brake lever it will be easier to remove the spindle for a proper cleaning and greasing.

Comment

The pedal is completely frozen. It also didn't move with any amount of persuasion that I could dish out. I looked closely at the back side of the linkage though. I did notice something like a missing section out of a ring that goes around the end of the spindle. Maybe like a really big snapring or something. It was easier to notice with little light due to the heavy rust. I'll have to give her a try again tomorrow. Thanks for the response. PS I have a rear disc brake on my bike, but I'm sure the linkage is very similar.
      Oh, I also tried to put the pedal back on so I could try and move it, but the tightening screw on the pedal snapped off :roll: Now I have to drill that out and tap the hole for a new bolt.

Comment

That's the word... snapring. Those things have a habit of appearing in places like this.

You say you freed the front brake, does it work or are the calipers frozen too? Does it now freely shift gears?

I've been in a situation similar to yours, in that my first bike (my gs550) wasn't running when I got it, except mine isn't rusted out. Did you get the engine running at all? If I were you I wouldn't even mess with this stuff until you can get the engine to run to your satisfaction. It would be quite a dissapointment to spend all this work and not be able to start it. I did a lot of work from changing brake pads to rebuilding the front forks and putting on another head. I treated it like a project, but it ran most of the time. I'm glad I did all that work now (because now I know how), but I probably wouldn't have if I new what was in store. By your description it sounds like many other parts may be frozen or may strip very easily. There are many philips scews on these bikes, and you have no idea what kind of hatred one can develop for those . I can almost guarantee a carb job is needed (check out the great tutorial on this site and not the incomplete clymer manual's walkthrough). My point? A heavily rusted bike may or may not be worth spending the time, energy, and money on. Lots of other great examles can be had for cheap.

Comment

Over the last two days I was able to free the shifter and make it run very smoothly. The front brake handle was frozen in its bracket, but I freed that up (after snapping the handle in half). Both sets of calipers work, and the engine does fire. The gas tank is in perfect condition inside, the petcock is working properly, the throttle is smooth. I only need to free the rear brake pedal and clean out the carbs. The jets are a little gummed up, but I suspect that all of the floats are in working order and not frozen. Most of the rust on the bike is surface rust. I think that whoever had it before my friend did stored it on concrete without anything underneath the bike. From what I hear, that really beats on the metal. Yeah, other than a few critical pieces, this ratbike runs. All I need is a battery and a tire. I also need to clean a few contacts on the switches. I had to hotwire the bike and jump it off of my truck to start it, but she fired right up. I just can't touch the throttle or it kills.

Comment

That's nice to hear that it's going to be running.

I looked down at my brake again today, and, at least for my drum brake, the linkage bracket is welded onto the spindle which you're trying to free. I didn't see any snap rings or anything else. It appears that if you take the pedal off you should be able to just push the spindle in towards the inside of the bike, rust permitting.

The only thing I can think of for the rust that you haven't done already is heating it up with a torch. You just have to be careful because aluminum has a relatively low melting point. If nothing works, you may be able to find a similar bike at a junk yard, and replace the whole spindle along with the foot peg bracket.

Either way, good luck and enjoy your new bike!

Comment

The only thing that holds the spindle, is the brake pedal itself. There is no snapring on that part.
              The bolt that holds the pedal has to be removed completely to get the pedal off.
              If the spindle still doesn't move, you might try to heaten it up with a small torch. When it's hot enough, you should be able to get it out with a hammer.

Comment

I'll have to try that. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                X