About left controls.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About left controls.

On my GSX 750 ES-1983,My turn signal control stays to the left or right position when its used,And stops i the middle position,But can i change control from a newer Gsxr,They do automaticly go back to middle position when used or do i also have to change the turn signal relay?

Looking at your paticular model, changing out your switches might be alot simpler than what I did with my 1100. I took this out of a manual for a 1983 GS750e/es.

Check it out with a multimeter but this was how the signals on the CBR switches I used on the 1100 were wired, you just gave them half a "flick" in the opposite direction to return them to the center position (off). You'll have to check it out yourself but at least it looks like you don't have any self canceling BS to deal with, so it should be a little simpler.

Comment

wait, from my understanding of his first post, it seems like he wants self canceling turn signals. I may be wrong

Hope this helps

Comment

hmm. well if you really wan't self-cancelling signals, all I can really say is have fun Its not going to be as simple as just changing controls. On the ones I've looked at, a control unit takes input from the speedo/odometer to determine how long the signals stay on, but if I'm looking at the right diagrams, your bike doesn't have any of that. You might be better off just hooking them up to a simple timer circut rather than trying to get the gixxer stuff to work if all you want is the self cancelling feature. I don't know, someone else here might be better suited to steer you in the right direction, personally I don't really like the self-cancelling thing, so I just got rid of it when I changed my 1100.

Comment

Are you sure you don't already have self cancelling signals?

Look carefully at the upper corner of the housing, does it say "AUTO" on it?

Self-cancelling signals do NOT return to center on their own. There are actually FIVE positions for the switch.
          Counting from left to right:
          1. Turns on the LEFT signals, then is spring-loaded to the #2 position.
          2. LEFT signals are on after being activated by moving switch to #1. They stop when sufficient distance has been travelled above a prescribed speed.
          3. Cancels either signal before the automatic circuit does.
          4. RIGHT signals are on after bing activated by moving switch to #5. They stop as do the left signals in #2 above.
          5. Turns on the RIGHT signals, then is spring-loaded to the #4 position.

Examine your switch. Is it kind of 'mushy' when pushed to either extreme? If so, it is just spring-loaded to go back to the ON position (either #2 or #4, above). There might be nothing wrong with your switch, you just might not understand it fully.

Other manufacturers and maybe later Suzukis (my GoldWing is one of them) do use switches that only have three positions. The switch lives in the center position. You turn on either signal by pushing the switch in that direction, the switch goes back to the center and lets the electronics take over for when to cancel. If you want to cancel before the electronics are happy, you push the switch IN.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the newer switch is a "push to cancel". it returns to center but doesn't cancel til you press it.
            the older one cancels when you return it to center.
            Not a big deal either way, you'd have to change the switch.
            You've probably got something else around that is more worthwhile spending your energy on.
            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

buy one off a bandit or something, cut the plug off the end of the original wires, match up wires from original plug with wires from bandit left hand controls, and put the new one on as if it's the original one, Works great. I did that with the GN250 I have because the control wasn't working correctly for the turn signals. I think i spent $25 shipped on the controls, $1 on heat-shrink tubing and an hour or two in time. Worth every penny.

You don't need to use one from a bandit, that's just what I used. I would suggest you stick to suzuki ones though to make sure the wires are all the same to make it easier to wire up the original plug to the new switch.

EDIT: the turn signal switch is (as was already said) a 'return to center' switch but you do need to push it straight in to cancel it. (or slightly in the other direction from center)

Comment

Working...
              X