Exaust bolts- I know they will break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exaust bolts- I know they will break

I am replacing my exaust later this week. Two of the bolts (inner) are already broken and I need to drill, but are there any tips for the other two?

I have been spraying them every other day for a week now, while waiting on shipping.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Kyle

mannn...

I hate rusty/corroded bolts. Here are some things I have done in the past. After dowsing with penetrating oil, lightly tap with a hammer or other object. This can help break up corrosion and let the oil penetrate better. When you attempt to loosen use a propane torch and heat gently around the bolt. The idea is to expand the metal surrounding the bolt. I have had good luck with an impact gun on a light setting. If you are uncomfortable with that...go slow. Its probably a good idea to have helicoils or other inserts installed afterwards. Sometimes they are gonna break and you cant stop them.
    Hope this helps,
    Mark

Comment

at work I have 3 1/2" impact guns, one is old and getting weak, one is so-so that I use for removing tires and my favorite on is the bad a**(that is what the guys in the shop call it- I cant keep them out of my box)

I will try the so-so one. I dont have a propane torch but I can tun down the heat on the torches at work.

The exaust should be in soon, wish me luck!

Comment

Unsticking stuck bolts

I run into this quite often and learned something from a tractor restorer.
        Should you find one that doesn't want to cooperate going out, give it a shot going in. A bolt tightens against the backside (head-side) of the threads. Most of the time a quick zap in will break the bond and let the bolt come out. Melted candle wax is another trick I've heard of but not tried yet. If you break the bolt, heat it up and rub a candle or crayon on it. If this doesn't work, drill a hole in the center (you're gonna have to anyways, right?) and let the heat pull the wax into the back of the bolt.
        Get your hands on a bottle of SiliKroil from Kano Labs, the absolute best penetrating oil I've seen. Bob

Comment

i've managed to break a bolt off in head on each of my bikes. it happens.

generally one bolt is enough to hold the headers in place.

Comment

PB blaster is the next best oil, NAPa and auto zone carry it, it works well, let it soak for a good day

Comment

they came out without even trying hard , even the ones that were already broke off for God knows how long.

Now just waiting for the replacement and I can ride again, and a lot quieter

Comment

When you put the new bolts in check if you can use a longer bolt. This means less pressure on the threads. But make sure you don't ground the bolt into the bottom of the hole.

Use an anti-sieze compound when you put the new bolts in, make sure it's heat capable.

Using stainless steel bolts in alloy matches their heat expansion characteristics better then plain steel bolts in the alloy. Some people say this means less chance of problems over time.

Kim

Comment

Another possibility would be to use studs instead of the original bolts. Either way don't reuse the bolts Get NEW ones

Comment

i have found Loctite Nickel Anti seize works great on these no more dramas
                    ozman

Comment

i dont see why he couldn't reuse the bolts...even the rusty original ones from my 79 came off okay, and went back on okay.

Comment

bolts are cheap and easy to find so why not replace them. may eliminate a future problem

Comment

heh, i snapped two off in my headers... that was classic.

Just figured "screw it" (no pun intended) left one pipe going in with only one bolt, and just gave up on the right exhaust. I really wanna change that sucker, too.

take it easy... don't let your stuck bolts drive you crazy.

Comment

Working...
                          X