Removing the tightly wound spring of MDI rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing the tightly wound spring of MDI rear shocks

Hi guys, As I mentioned in another thread, I installed MDI shocks on my 650L. I am only weigh 140 pounds and the roads here are so full of potholes, they are killing my back. What do you thing could be the efect of removing the small spring off the units? Instead of progressive springs, MDI come with two springs. A big one and a small more tightly wound.
    I was advice to replace the springs with old 750 to 1000 GS, but those are imposible to procure where I am at. Also, what about cuting some of the big spring off. I am very off?

Yes... you don't want to do that. Get a set of stock shocks ($20 on ebay) for any model, maybe an 850 or 1000 as they will be slightly stiffer & take the springs off & use those....

Or buy a set of progressive springs for $70 & fit them....

If you buy the stockers you can put the MDI springs back on them & re-sell prob. Get your money back
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I am only weigh 140 pounds and the roads here are so full of potholes, they are killing my back.
      Maybe it would be easier to find a 200lb passenger

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Yes... you don't want to do that. Get a set of stock shocks ($20 on ebay) for any model, maybe an 850 or 1000 as they will be slightly stiffer & take the springs off & use those....

Or buy a set of progressive springs for $70 & fit them....

If you buy the stockers you can put the MDI springs back on them & re-sell prob. Get your money back
        Thanks for your answer. I guess I will see if the progressives are the same lenght. Seems like the MDI's are about two inches shorter than the OEM's I have been able to locate.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
          Maybe it would be easier to find a 200lb passenger
          Well, the fact of the matter is that in Guatemala we have a law that prohibits two up (security reasons, we have been having problems with people on bikes assaulting car drivers, pillion rider with handguns!!!

On the other hand, I have ridden with my wife (about 140 lbs also) and the shocks are plainly too stiff.

Comment

If you do this please post results. I'm also about 140 lbs and have the MDI's. I would love to find a way to modify them so I don't have to fork out the $300 minimum on some decent shocks for my size.

Comment

Working...
            X