need advice about a bike i may buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need advice about a bike i may buy

a friend of mine has what he says is a 1987 gs750e that has been punched out to 1100cc. it has a muzzi 4 into 1 exhaust. and everything else is stock. here are a few of my questions. obviously its going to need to be rejetted. any guess on where to start? runs very badly, backfires when its revved up. im thinking because of being lean. i dont think it runs good enough to actually be ridden because the jetting is so off. but what kind of damage could have been done to this because if the jetting issues? lastlywhat from my current bike ( 1981 gs850g ) is compatable with the 87? i have not been able to check the bike out. i gave it a quick look over before i hit the deer on the 850 but now im thinking more about it. any way to verify how many cc the engine is without taking it apart? and is there anything i should look for when i check it out? also, with the top of my tripple tree off the 850 fit on the fork tubes of the 750? the 750 has clip-ons and im not a fan of them so depending on how adjustable they are i may just throw a set of drag bars on. anything else you can think of please let me know. thanks in advance

Find out what year it is, they didn't make a 1987 GS750E. Not much will fit your 850, but it depends on which year the 750 is.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The cylinder barrel should have the size of the engine cast into the front left hand side of it. You can measure the stroke by removing a spark plug and inserting a long piece of wire (I use a wheel spoke) and turn the engine over with the bike in gear using the rear wheel (do not use starter motor). Rotate motor until the spoke is as far down as it will go (this is BDC) mark the spoke and rotate the motor till the spoke goes as far up as it can (TDC) and mark the spoke again. measure between these two marks and that is the stroke of the engine. You do not even have to remove the petrol tank to do this. Then compare the stroke with the various specs for the different engines.

For example the 1100 has a 66mm stroke and the 1000 has a 64.8mm stroke.

Also adjacent to the oil filler plug for the motor the designation for the motor will be stamped on a nameplate there with the accompanying engine number.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2009, 03:04 AM.

Comment

he said the engine was bored to 1100 wich is why i wasnt going to go by the engine stamping. are there a lot of gs bikes that came with clip-ons and an electronic tach? thats all i can really remember off of it that was distinctive.

Comment

First you are not going to bore a 750 out to an 1100. So find out what you have.

Comment

You should first try to find out what it is, since there is no such thing as what he says it is.

How about a photo?
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I don't think there was ever a piston kit to bore a 750 that big, just because an 1100 engine is a much better engine design, and bolts right in. Most folks would put in an 1100 when the 750 failed. Not saying it could not have been done, but it's not likely. 1100 is just too big. Either way there is a displacement cast into the front left lower cylinder. The electronic tach bikes started in 1983.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't know...This thing has red flags written all over it. Nobody can or will bore out a 750 to an 1100. Not when an entire used engine would cost you less. (And..... if does have an 1100 by one means or another, does it sill use the 750 carbs?) Suzuki never made an 1987 GS750e. And I seriously doubt Muzzy made an exhaust for one. The rest is supposed to be stock. Why does it have clip ons? GS's never came with clip ons.

You sure this guy is a "friend"?

Comment

RUN Forest RUN..................

Comment

It does kind of sound like an 1100 dropped in with 750 carbs being left on it.. (as one option that I'm leaning towards)

Comment

i have only briefly seen the bike. well really only the front wheel as there was a lot of things around and on it. im pretty much just going by what he told me. now im starting to wonder what it is. i think im gonna be going to look at it a lot more closely very soon. im almost posative that it had clipons.

Comment

87 would be GSXR territory, and they had clip ons

Comment

Working...
                        X