Jerky 1-3 gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerky 1-3 gear

Have a bit of an issue with 1-3 gear. It feels like the bike is not quite catching hold (sputtering) in 1-3 gear below 4000 rpm. It is jumpy and not smooth. In 4th and especially in 5th everything is great. Bike is smooth and accelerates great. Only had it to 65 mph, but there is way more power, as you all know. I have 120 main jets. The clip is on the 2nd groove down from the top of the needle, and I have a 17.5 pilot jet. I've replaced all the old carberatur parts, so I'm at a loss as to what to tweek next. The bike idles ok, and is a great bike, with the exception of this issue. Any Suggestions?

Thanks
    scudder

Sounds like you should drop the needle clip 1-notch but before you do...run some plug chops at the rpm/gear combo where things start to fall apart. This will either confirm a rich(black) or lean (white) condition. My thought is rich as you mention that at increased rpms and highway speeds, there seems to be no problem.

Comment

Checked the plugs.

Plugs seem to be ok. I the past, they've been totally black, but now they are a light brown, which seems to be an improvment over the past. I'd say it is running a little rich at this point. My fuel mixture screw is at 1 turn out. Is that too rich? Could that becausing it to spudder? I've had the needle clip on the 3rd groove before and it it was very rich, however I've change a lot of things since that time.

Scudder

Comment

Why the 120 main jet?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Why?

Really, not ryme or reason, other than that some of the other guys on this site have recommended this size of main jet when you run 4to1 exhaust and pods. Could the 120s be the problem?

scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
            Really, not ryme or reason, other than that some of the other guys on this site have recommended this size of main jet when you run 4to1 exhaust and pods. Could the 120s be the problem?

scudder
            You didn't mention the exhaust and pods, 120 may well be too small but you need to do proper plug chops to find out.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X