How to Operate a Multimeter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Operate a Multimeter?

Hi there... I posted the other day about my Stator issues ...
    I am wondering if anybody knows a good site to explain, or personally can gimme a bit of a tutorial on how to correctly use this Multimeter that I scammed off of my brother...
    I can make sense of it enough to get basic readings when checking the battery (13.08V) but for the Stator Wire test ... I don't think I have the Altemeter on the correct setting ... as the leads all respond with 0.08 (whatever units? I wuz using) ...

Sorry for the 2nd post on basicly the same issue, but I figured that with all the somewhat unsuccessfully searching I have done so far tonite on the internet, for "How to oerate a Multimeter?" ... this may be a topic that somebody could enlighten us (am I the only one?) hehe...

thanks to all!

Dave
    86 GS750es

To check the stator you should be on AC voltage,(Sometimes represented by a wave shape line over a 'V') 200 V scale, should be around 70V per leg

Comment

Thx fer that tip... I'm gonna re-test the GS tomorrow morning ... will keep updating in my other thread...

thx again...

Comment

Cannot see your meter, but, apart from the meter settings, often there are several contact points for your test leads. You should have one common contact (black wire) and another contact for everything else, but you may have the common, another for voltage (V) and a third for ohms, etc. Look for the markings on the face of the meter.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

thats my problem though ...
          I see a V with a line and 3 dots over it ... I think this is DC
          I see a V with a wavy line over it, I think this is AC from what daveo said...
          and I also have the OHM section ...

It wuz basicly just the voltage symbols I was not familiar with ...

I guess ya, maybe that's really all I need to know as far as what setting to use ... and just follow the Fault Finding Chart ...

thx

Comment

Dude, if your tester has an altimeter, you're not using it correctly.

Comment

thats my problem though ...
              I see a V with a line and 3 dots over it ... I think this is DC
              I see a V with a wavy line over it, I think this is AC from what daveo said...
              and I also have the OHM section ...

It wuz basicly just the voltage symbols I was not familiar with ...

I guess ya, maybe that's really all I need to know as far as what setting to use ... and just follow the Fault Finding Chart ...

thx

Comment

Working...
              X