650g lower bars/different cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650g lower bars/different cables?

I have a 82 650g and I changed the factory bars to a Superbike bend. The factory bars were higher and I wanted something lower. The throttle cable and clutch cable (which broke today)are to long now and I've relocated them so they function well enough, but I want to change them out to something shorter. Has any one done a simular thing and replaced the cables?

Has anyone changed out the plastic fender to something else? My fender is really cracked, held together with bailing wire and I would like a metal one. I know the chrome fender from my 80 450e fits. Has anyone tried anything else? Thanks for your help.

Charlie G.

"clutchless, sunny and 69 degrees in the State of Jeffereson"
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Has any one done a simular thing and replaced the cables?
    You may want to consider some from a 550 or smaller bike. I think motion pro makes custom length cables. You may want to contact them and ask.

Comment

I considered the cable for a 550e because the cases a simular and I think the bars are lower. I'll check out Motion pro, see what they say. The clutch is less of a problem or a least in worked fine till it broke. Thanks.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Hey Charlie, I can't really help you out regarding the cables but if you do buy one from another bike just make sure the connections are the same as on your 650. Actually, I think someone mentioning the cables from a 1000S are shorter and worked when they installed shorter bars. As for the front fender, plastic ones come up pretty often on Ebay as do chrome ones from the L models. If you wanted to go to a chrome fender, I pretty sure a 650 L model would work. Good luck.

Comment

The throttle cable from the Katana model 650 is a perfect fit for the superbike bars. I know because I have one myself.

Comment

Thanks Teach, I knew one of you 650 owners would have done this before. Really apprieciate the response!

By the way JTs650, a 650l front fender won't fit. I know because I bought one. The axel location on the forksis more forward. I got it cheap, just more garage art. Thanks all.

Charlie G.
            Last edited by Charlie G; 11-02-2009, 10:03 PM.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
              Thanks Teach, I knew one of you 650 owners would have done this before. Really apprieciate the response!

By the way JTs650, a 650l front fender won't fit. I know because I bought one. The axel location on the forksis more forward. I got it cheap, just more garage art. Thanks all.

Charlie G.
              Ah, I see. The old standard vs leading axle thing. Ah well. IMO the plastic ones look cooler anyway. You could check out the ones for the 650 E models. They are a little different than the G model and would fit.

Comment

I've had a 650L fender on my 650g for years, I wonder why it fits>?
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Here is a photo of my broken plastic fender setting in front of the 650L fender I bought off e-bay. See how thwe mounts are shifted rearward. I tried mounting it and the rear of the fender hit the tire before I could get the bolts holes to line up. I'm mot absultly certian it's from a 650L, but that's what they said. Live and learn from my mistakes.

I dislike plastic, but after installing the chrome one from my 450e, I think I prefer a painted fender ( metal). I will probally buy one from a 650e, unless I find another model which is metal and fits my bike. The rear of the 650e fender has a flair on the lower edge, which is distinct to the 650e. I'm not certian I want it on my G.Thanks for your interest.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                  X