Lost oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost oil

I ran my '83 GS1100E over the weekend and didn't notice that one of the oil cooler lines let go while at highway speed.

After topping it back up, I realized that I lost two and half litres within about half a minute before I could safely shut it down.

After replacing the hose, adding new oil ( 2.5 litres) and running it, the shifting is stiff.

What damage could I have done to the internals and how forgiving is this motor under these circumstances?

Well, I suppose it depends on how hard you ran it? Ive heard tell from the drag guys (mainly Ray) that they run with hardley any oil in them at all, and because of the high volume low pressure design/roller crank little if any damage was/is done. But, I cant say for sure, im not one to trust myself or my motor to trying it out..LOL. 2.5 quarts is over half of the oil in the motor, depending on how you look at it. If its still running fine though, I'd say youre ok. However, next valve adjustment, have a look at your cam journals and lobes...see if there are any scoring marks on them. And, dont do that every again? LOL

Comment

I ran mine almost 5 miles around town without any oil in it at all.

22,000 miles later, no damage
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Don't worry about it.
        Obviously if the engine has been ruined, you will know soon enough.
        Hell, I've run a few engines dry from sudden leaks, none were hurt.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
          What damage could I have done to the internals and how forgiving is this motor under these circumstances?
          Should probably be fine. Same thing happened to my friend from Toronto on his 1100E (1261 kit & nitrous) on the 401....one of the Star Racing Hi-Vol gears failed, resulting in zero pressure till he was able to pull over safely and have it trucked home. No lube related damage, and this was an engine that ran substantially hotter than stock.
          Tony.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

I once drove a V8 Torino 40 miles with 0 oil pressure on the gauge. Had lost a rocker, kicked the lifter out. No ill effects I wouldn't make a habit of it..
            Just ride it 30 seconds should have not caused any damage. Your just lucky it did not oil the rear tire causing a spill

Comment

Working...
            X