Believe the stealer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Believe the stealer??

82 Gs11e, Charging system is out, checked the stator and i have 75V from all three wires (max). checked wiring and found R/R plug melted and same up by the headlight(harness) changed out wires. so went to shop and got a R/R. installed it and with bike running and revved it still is putting out 12 V. needle on Voltmeter is not moving up. Called shop he said i need 100-105 V to charge system. i thought 75 was good, he said not enough V to charge batt??? any help before i take her into the shop??
    PLEASE

Re: Believe the stealer??

Originally posted by bostrom155
    82 Gs11e, Charging system is out, checked the stator and i have 75V from all three wires (max). checked wiring and found R/R plug melted and same up by the headlight(harness) changed out wires. so went to shop and got a R/R. installed it and with bike running and revved it still is putting out 12 V. needle on Voltmeter is not moving up. Called shop he said i need 100-105 V to charge system. i thought 75 was good, he said not enough V to charge batt??? any help before i take her into the shop??
    PLEASE
    The stealer is wrong. 75vac is sufficient output from the stator. I could not get the correct output from the RR til I soldered the stator connections and ran a ground from the RR to the Negative post on battery. I sure wouldn't take my bike back to the same shop, but then I wouldn't take my bike to any shop :?

Comment

I agree, 75V should be enough. I forgot the exact numbers from the service manual, but I think it should be around 70-80 at 5000rpm for my bike (83 750ES).

Comment

Your voltage is fine...clean all your grounds and as many connectors as you can. Add a ground between the rectifier/regulator (R/R) and the negitive side of the battery. Make sure you have a good ground between the motor and the frame. If that does not help, replace the R/R with a unit from Electrex:

Friendly and helpful customer support that goes above and beyond. We help you get the perfect domain name.

Hap

Comment

Hope not to sound dumb, but the R/R has a ground i hooked to the neg on the batt, should thier be an additional one? i'll look for the ground from motor to frame. thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I was having problems with my system too! Check my post "hot stator wires too". my problem was a piece of metal shorting between two of my fuses. good luck! I had to take the fuse box off before I could see it.

Comment

It sounds like a problem that I have recently had with my '85 GSX1100efe, I was getting the voltage from the stator (80V) but the battery was not charging. I found the problem to be the stator windings shorting to the engine casing, check the stator wires for resistance to the engine casing bolts, it should be infinity.

Comment

It sounds like a problem that I have recently had with my '85 GSX1100efe, I was getting the voltage from the stator (80V) but the battery was not charging. I found the problem to be the stator windings shorting to the engine casing, check the stator wires for resistance to the engine casing bolts, it should be infinity.

Comment

Did the ohms test to the three leads from stator and they all came to zero, so i guess i'm calling electrex and ordering a stator? thank for the help guys

Comment

Did the ohms test to the three leads from stator and they all came to zero, so i guess i'm calling electrex and ordering a stator? thank for the help guys
                    So how did you get 75v in your initial test?

Comment

Sorry, yes i got 75 V from all three wires, i'm using a cheap ohm meter but when i tested ohms on the three wires it pegged the meter out to zero (actually past) an electric shop up the street will let me use his meter but i'm sure it will be the same i have 0 to 0.5 to 1 ohm ect. measurement on mine so i should see .5

Comment

Sorry, yes i got 75 V from all three wires, i'm using a cheap ohm meter but when i tested ohms on the three wires it pegged the meter out to zero (actually past) an electric shop up the street will let me use his meter but i'm sure it will be the same i have 0 to 0.5 to 1 ohm ect. measurement on mine so i should see .5
                        Unless I'm missing something it sounds like your stator is Ok.

Comment

Dan, when doing the ohms test, you don't want anything on the meter. Going to zero means no resistance, straight to ground. You want infinate resistance when doing the test.

Comment

I thought the ohm reading should be (according to stator papers) between .5 and 2.0 ohms. between the three leads. i see the needle going all the way over to zero??

Comment

You might get your meter checked. A cheapie unit may not be able to catch the tiny number differences.

A digital one gives a better reading.

Try using the one from the shop and see what you get,

As you are getting high (75V) output on the voltage side, it sounds like your stator is OK.
                              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
                              X