No announcement yet.

Believe the stealer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I was confused. I thought you were on the second part of the test. Definately get a good meter. And to clarify, .5-2 when reading between two wires, infinity when testing to ground.

Comment

I sure don't pretend to actually understand all this electrical stuff, but I would think that if the no load vac test checks then the stator is good. If the stator can check correct vac and be bad then would one of our many electrical guru's help me understand. :?

Comment

HIGH OHM Readings

Hi there ... I did the Voltage test on my 86gs750es and got 0 volts... not a smidgen... and I had an overly electrical friend help me out to do them too... with a decent multimeter ...

THEN, did the OHM test,... smallest setting I think... and got like 3.5 on some ... 4, 5ohms (but NEVER in the 0.5-2.0 range) ...

My stator's F$(%'d
        d'oh
        Add that on to my 2nd gear time, and I am shopping for a new engine...

Comment

The only conclusion that I came up with was that although I was getting 80V from the stator, the short in the stator meant that I was getting little or no current. From my extremely basic knowledge of electrics the current is what pushes voltage around a circuit, so even with the correct voltage from the stator it cannot charge the battery. Hopefully someone else may be able to explain this better.

Comment

I agree with Dan...if you are getting 75V from the stator at 5000 rpm it should be fine. With the engine off and the ignition in the off position, you should get zero ohms when you check resistance from each of the stator leads (not the regulator/rectifier leads) to ground (this is with the stator mounted on the bike), and a small amount of resistance (.5 to 5 ohms) when you check resistance between any two stator leads. But the ultimate test is if you are getting the voltage from the stator, which you are.

If you have a short in the stator to ground then you will not see any voltage unless it is intermittent. If there is a short it will quickly heat the stator winding to the point that you will have an open wire with infinite resistance.

Hap

Comment

Thanks for all the help i'm getting a new R/R tomorrow, lets hope this fixes the problem

Comment

What you need to measure is output and 75 volts is fine. What you need to check is from each individual wire to the ground You should get infinite reading. If you get any reading the stator is shorted. Measuring between the different stator wires you should read 1 ohm

Comment

Good to go...new R/R and i'm back on the road...thanks again guys

Comment

Did they replace it for you, or did you have to buy another one?

Comment

I got another (new) one. the first one was used (90$) so after i hooked it up it didn't work, so went back and ordered a new one for 131. only bad thing?? is that it's a Cycletronics. any one heard of this?
                      thanks again and i finally got a DIGITAL multimeter, if u work on your bike this is a must, thanks Jeck.

Comment

Working...
                      X