22 years, still in the same spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22 years, still in the same spot?

Hello again all, a big thanks in helping me get my bike to the point it?s at now. I broke down and ordered the K&L carb rebuild kits as my needle seats are leaky. The kit also comes with jets, orings, gaskets, and the fuel screw. My question is should I bother to uncap the fuel screws and replace them, or are they still ok after all this time? If the vote is to indeed to replace them, how do you pop those pesky caps off?

P.S. 81 GS750E

Re: 22 years, still in the same spot?

Originally posted by howmuch
    Hello again all, a big thanks in helping me get my bike to the point it?s at now. I broke down and ordered the K&L carb rebuild kits as my needle seats are leaky. The kit also comes with jets, orings, gaskets, and the fuel screw. My question is should I bother to uncap the fuel screws and replace them, or are they still ok after all this time? If the vote is to indeed to replace them, how do you pop those pesky caps off?

P.S. 81 GS750E
    Your in The Colony???? - How is it that we haven't "run into" each other???

To answer your question(s) - yes, you are going to have to remove those caps and clean out the idle circuits - the best way is to carefully drill them out.

Let me know where you live - I can always drop by and lend a hand!! 8)

Comment

Well, we probablly haven't "run into" each other because my bike hasn't seen the road in almost 5 years. I've had it for 2 of those years (suzuki sin) but haven't had time/money to start working on it! Buddy, I'll take all the help I can get with this thing. This is the first time I've dug into a bike this far, but with the help of this forum, I've got alot done.

The parts should hopefully show up this friday, so I'll dig in on Saturday.

Comment

Just let me know - I'd be happy to help out!! 8)

Comment

Don't trust him!!!! He drives a shafty!!! Well, a rather nice shafty...okay, okay, I admit it, I lust after his bike BUT he still drives a shafty (and knows what he is talking about)!

Hap

Comment

yeah..you know those shafties...with their shaftie eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
              yeah..you know those shafties...with their shaftie eyes...
              ... and their clean hands, rear wheels and swingarms!! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                Don't trust him!!!! He drives a shafty!!! Well, a rather nice shafty...okay, okay, I admit it, I lust after his bike BUT he still drives a shafty (and knows what he is talking about)!

Hap
                Sean, this is one individual you have to watch out for!! If we can get your bike running soon, you can actually meet this particular gsr member in person - he'll be attending our fall hill country run this October - he'll be the one on the red 1100 screamer :twisted: Hap is also one of the best to consult if you'd like to add horsepower, install swingarm bearings, find oil leaks, diagnose electrical problems - the list just never ends. He's owned his bike since it was new and has logged almost a quarter of a million miles on those same wheels!! 8)

Comment

Hmmm, add horse power... Actually at this point my goal is just to ride it around the block!

After that, I need to get some serious seat time as I myself haven?t been on two wheels for a long while.

Comment

Mark I went to the member list to PM you and noticed we're in the same profession!

Maybe we can trade notes on more than just GSs

-Sean

Comment

Cool!! Too bad these old bikes don't have any computerized parts - we could probably really mess things up :twisted:

But then again, there is something to be said for simplicity ... 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X