Torque on clutch cover screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torque on clutch cover screws

I am getting ready to put my bike back together after almost 2 months of waiting for parts (@#@$% Bike shop) Any way, I have a Clymer manual and it tells me in explicit detail how to take the clutch cover off, but gives me nothing about how to put it back on. Do I use my impact driver to tighten the screws? How much torque should be used? How do you even measure the troque? I have never seen a torque screw driver. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Just tighten them by hand, with a LITTLE umph. Don't use the impact. 8O Use a little Nev-r-Seize on the bolts to aid dissasembly. 8)
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
      Just tighten them by hand, with a LITTLE umph. Don't use the impact. 8O Use a little Nev-r-Seize on the bolts to aid dissasembly. 8)
      YES be carefull 8O 8O --i think those bolts are 6mm and strip very easily--doesnt your manual have a chart for the inch pound settings for each size bolt--my haynes does but i am not home to look it up for you--i now own an metric torque wrench and 2 spare clutch covers plus some various lengths of bolts because i was not carefull with the cover replacement --I also hav a couple of extra gaskets--please be very particular with cleaning and tightening

Comment

Screws

The screws for the clutch cover that I have are phillips heads. not a 6mm bolt that is why I think there is chart in my manual for the troque settings. I geuss i'll just make them "tight" and call it a day

Comment

YOU CAN REPLACE THEM WITH ALLEN KEY TYPE BOLTS FROM THE HARDWARE STORE--I STILLTHINK THAT THEY ARE 6MM

Comment

Re: Torque on clutch cover screws

I just tighten those screws down with a hand screwdriver. I stick the screw threads into the neck of a tube of silicone before installing them. It seems to keep them from vibrating loose and also stops them from freezing in place, making removal very easy.

Earl

Originally posted by Dave Orr
            I am getting ready to put my bike back together after almost 2 months of waiting for parts (@#@$% Bike shop) Any way, I have a Clymer manual and it tells me in explicit detail how to take the clutch cover off, but gives me nothing about how to put it back on. Do I use my impact driver to tighten the screws? How much torque should be used? How do you even measure the troque? I have never seen a torque screw driver. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
            X