PLEASE GIVE MY ELECTRICAL PROB ONE LAST LOOK, 83GS750ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLEASE GIVE MY ELECTRICAL PROB ONE LAST LOOK, 83GS750ES

Friends and neighbors, give my problem one last try. If I haven?t solved it by next week, I?m gonna part the bike out.

It is a 1983 GS750ES. It will only run for a minute or so at a time, then it has to ?rest? for a few seconds and then it will start again and run for another short period of time.

I have installed a new Electrex R/R. The stator connectors under the tank were smoky and burnt, so I cut them off and re-routed the wires straight to the R/R. I have run the black wire straight to the Neg terminal of the battery. When it is running, the red R/R wire gets hot. Batt voltage never gets above 13.4 or below 12.0. Amp test on coils checked O.K. Test on timing sender also checks O.K.

Any ideas? If not, watch for parts on ebay.

Thanks everybody.

Don't give up! Sounds like it's probably fuel related (voltages sound good, wouldn't start at all if it was the ignition) check the petcock and gas cap for proper operation, then move to the carbs, if it sat for an extended period of time the carbs may need to be cleaned or rebuilt

Comment

Re: PLEASE GIVE MY ELECTRICAL PROB ONE LAST LOOK, 83GS750ES

Originally posted by jaesbow
      Friends and neighbors, give my problem one last try. If I haven?t solved it by next week, I?m gonna part the bike out.

It is a 1983 GS750ES. It will only run for a minute or so at a time, then it has to ?rest? for a few seconds and then it will start again and run for another short period of time.

I have installed a new Electrex R/R. The stator connectors under the tank were smoky and burnt, so I cut them off and re-routed the wires straight to the R/R. I have run the black wire straight to the Neg terminal of the battery. When it is running, the red R/R wire gets hot. Batt voltage never gets above 13.4 or below 12.0. Amp test on coils checked O.K. Test on timing sender also checks O.K.

Thanks everybody.
      Dave makes some good points here...being an electrical guy I always go for the electrical trouble shooting first because that is what I am better at.

How does it stall after running for a few minutes? Does one cylinder stop firing followed by another until the bike stops or does it just suddenly die? It sounds like you may have an ignition componet such as the ignitor over-heating. Once it cools down it will run until it heats up again.

Hap

Comment

start it up andlet it run good, when it dies, pull the plugs and read them.

try putting the bike in PRIME and running it for good measure. maybe your petcock is not seeing proper vaccume to keep sending gas.

dont give up yet, you'll regret it if you sell it.

Comment

I had this problem on my 84 GSX750se (same motor) The problem was a faulty ignitor unit. Check for spark at the plugs when it wont run.
          Deano....

Comment

another thing you could check is how clean are the terminals in the pulgs that go into the ignitor box, my bike just died one day problem was the plug terminals had coroded, got a new plug and terminals from an auto parts store and fitted it fixing my problem. I doubt yours is caused by the charging circuit.
            Deano....

Comment

Carbs are fresh

Carbs were just cleaned and all o-rings replaced. Petcocl is brand new from dealer. Gas flow is good. Can I test the ignitor?

Comment

Re: PLEASE GIVE MY ELECTRICAL PROB ONE LAST LOOK, 83GS750ES

I have a 750E with an electrec R/R that has been (as still is) fine after 2 1/2 years. My stator is wired directly into the R/R and the Red output wire from the R/R is wired directly to battery +. The wire never gets hot.
                The only reason I can think of for that wire to be hot is resistance. My first suspicion would be that the batter is marginal and the sediment in the bottom of the battery case is starting to ground out the plates causing increased resistance. I would replace the battery. I suspect that your engine dying problem is also connected to this and the engine is drawing power faster than the R/R can push electrical power back into the battery through the high resistance it encounters.

Earl

Thanks everybody.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: Carbs are fresh

Carbs were just cleaned and all o-rings replaced. Petcocl is brand new from dealer. Gas flow is good. Can I test the ignitor?
                  if it is your ignitor its an Intermittent fault, test for spark when it stops running

If its a fuel / carb problem see if it will run on some engine start(spray can type stuff) spray into air intake before it just about dies.

atleast you will find out if its an electrical or a fuel problem

you can take the red (output) wire from the r/r and put it straight to the + battery, see if this stops it getting hot, if it does you have some dirty/ poor connections between the r/r and the battery, but i still dont belive this is the cause of your bike dying
                  Deano...

Comment

Working...
                  X