1980 GS850G Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850G Carbs

Okay guys/gals. I need some encouragement here.....not feeling too good at the moment. Stomach's a little woozy.....if you know what I mean (and it's not because I'm sick).

Here's the deal....

Some of you have been helping me with advice on what to do with my project bike. I've recently pulled the carbs to clean/rebuild them and quickly ran into a roadblock. The stinkin' air screws. I think the design for these things is the product of evil (at least in my present state of mind). The previous owners (whoever they may be....don't know the history) really "screwed" up the heads of these things. So much that I can't get them out no matter what I do (other than #4). And to be honest, I personally "screwed" up carb #1 trying to get the screw out. Easy-outs really aren't that easy to use.....I learned the hard way.

What's my dilemma? As stated above, air screw removed from carb #4....no problem. Carbs 2 and 3 have stripped heads. Have tried heating up the carb to expand the aluminum and free up the screw. Was able to back #3 air screw out half a turn before I removed what was left of the standard slot.....and I will NOT try the easy-out on carbs 3 and 4. Number 1 air screw hole is TOTALLY messed up....threads and all.....to the point that it will most likely need to be milled and a threaded insert added....just don't know if that's feasible.

Any suggestions? Any other carbs that would fit this bad boy? I SERIOUSLY want to get this thing running someday.

Please don't slam me. I tried. I think they're just getting the best of me.....something I told myself I wouldn't allow. The part that really bothers me is that a whole carb can be ruined because of one stupid screw.....and these carbs are not cheap to boot.

Thanks in advance!
    Cragar 8)

If the carbs are beyond help - see if you can't find a set on Ebay ... I've been able to acquire several sets for re-build purposes and replacement parts for mine, you can usually pick them up pretty cheap!! 8)

Comment

^^^
      what he said.

Comment

Alright. Thanks guys. Will GS1000 carbs fit my 850? I think the 1000s are 34mm while my 850 is 32mm.....or would this be considered an upgrade? Sorry.....newbie here!

In addition....just so I know....what should I EXPECT to pay for a set?

Cragar 8)

Comment

What about these:

or these...

This second set don't look like the ones I currently have although the ad says they're for a 1980 GS850.

Cragar 8)

Comment

If the second set doesn't look like yours, then you must have a late 1980 model - that's when Suzuki went to the CV carbs.

You might want to email the first auction seller and find out what size those carbs are. You are also correct about the 1000 - they do have 34mm carbs, although I'm fairly sure they'd work on yours if you also replaced the intake boots. 8)

Comment

Cool!

They are CV carbs. I know that. Mikuni BS32MM to be exact.

It's good to know that I can use carbs made for a GS1000. I won't be purchasing anything REAL soon as I have to sell my E-Maxx first (r/c 4-wheel-drive truck). However, I wanted to have an idea of my options.

If you don't mind telling, what was the "average" price you paid for your carb sets? Are they up for auction on a relatively regular basis? Or are they rare? I'd really like to have an idea. Although I know every auction can be different, most "like items" should go for a relatively similar price.

Sorry for all the questions....

Thanks for your help, dude!
              Cragar 8)

Comment

I've picked up 2 complete sets over the last year - both sets needed to be rebuilt - I paid $35.00 (plus shipping) for the first set and $45.00 for the second set. I've used the worst of the two sets for parts several times and have rebuilt the other set for my GL.

Just remember that you'll probably have to change the intake boots if you want to run the 34's. 8)

Comment

Too cool! This gives me a good feeling.

No problem on the intake boots. I'll take note....

Thanks for your help, dude. $50 is easily worth a whole set of carbs. Heck, I'd gladly give $75. It's easily understood these things will likely need to be rebuilt.

Cragar 8)

Comment

considering the $400 dollar shop rebuild - Ebay carbs are a deal!!

You know how it works around here, just hollar if you need help!! 8)

Comment

I had the same problem on my gs550 carbs - sent them to www.motorcyclecarbs.com - and presto, removed and rethreaded hole. But for the cost, a set off ebay may be more economical, but you do all the work..worth a look see anyway.

Comment

8O Cost! Wow!

Thanks dude, but I think I'll do my own work for that price.

Was worth a "look see". Funny how they described EXACTLY what I did.

Cragar 8)

Comment

Before you totally give up on geting those screws out, I had a similar situation with a Honda. The fuel meter screw had a large tang on the end for turning it. I stupidly ham fisted it, and broke it off. Not just flush, but indented way into the pocket. I tried everything to get that screw out with no success. Than one day while perusing my local auto zone, I saw a set of "picks". The kit had curved, angular and straight design. With the aid of some liquid wrench, a lot of patience, (read cursing), I managed to, oh so slowly, back that sucker out. Now, I only had to deal with one screw, but I think my method would have worked on several. It's a matter of dragging the tip of the pick along the side of the screw, untill it turns. Unless your screws are virtually welded in there, it might be worth a try.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Gary. Not sure if the situation is the same, but I'll try to digest your suggestion a little more before discounting it.

Two of the screws are being rather stubborn, especially with the standard slot being gone (chewed up). Add the frustration of the heads being countersunk at least a couple hundred thousands and you have an almost impossible situation. In addition, I've rendered carb #1 "ruined" with what I did to it.....(rather embarrassed about it......but as I always say, I learn more from my mistakes than I do my successes.....I've learned a lot over my thirty-three years).

I took them to work today and had a very experienced machinist scratching his head as well trying to figure how to get them out. The conclusion was the same....once he found out I could get them relatively cheap.....ahem.....sorry. In the business world, we're to refer to that as "cost effective". :roll:

Anyway, with having to rebuild the ones I have, I may as well get a set typically made for the GS1000 and add just a tad bit more power to boot.

Thanks again guys....

Cragar 8)

Comment

I would be patient and try to get the exact same carbs as stock. The 34mm are more than likely jetted differently.If they are all you can find,then you may have some jetting to do. Tons of fun if you are new to it. LOTS of trial and error.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X