Bad Ground wire from the Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Ground wire from the Regulator

Hi there... I had gone through all kinds of crappy attempts at testing my stator ... took me long enough to find the wires etc ...
    AND ... I finally made sure the Multimeter was on the AC 200 Setting ...
    BUT Still NO READING AT ALL on ANY PAIR of the 3 yellow wires ...

Also tested the Leads coming off of the regulator/rectifier... and could not get a single reading off of any of them as per the chart in the service manual.
    got 0.00 off of every single check between any 2 of the 5 contacts...

SO ... just thought I'd check the battery ... and being an idiot, noticed that the negative ground from the reg./rect. is chaffed and is bare in a spot ... i can see the copper wires directly inside it..

I'm not sure that a bad ground won't lead to the problems I'm having ...
    is that off tha wall or?...

Re: Bad Ground wire from the Regulator

Originally posted by rongant
    Hi there... I had gone through all kinds of crappy attempts at testing my stator ... took me long enough to find the wires etc ...
    AND ... I finally made sure the Multimeter was on the AC 200 Setting ...
    BUT Still NO READING AT ALL on ANY PAIR of the 3 yellow wires ...

Also tested the Leads coming off of the regulator/rectifier... and could not get a single reading off of any of them as per the chart in the service manual.
    got 0.00 off of every single check between any 2 of the 5 contacts...

SO ... just thought I'd check the battery ... and being an idiot, noticed that the negative ground from the reg./rect. is chaffed and is bare in a spot ... i can see the copper wires directly inside it..

I'm not sure that a bad ground won't lead to the problems I'm having ...
    is that off tha wall or?...
    Just to be sure I understand...You have your bike running at 5000 rpms and are getting 0 volts AC through any pair of stator wires? If this is the case then your stator is either totally shot(unlikely) or your 3 stator wires are broken. A bad ground will have no effect on your stator test. That's not to say that a bad ground wouldn't cause other problems. But, even a bare ground, if it's not contacting a hot wire, wouldn't cause a problem.

Comment

If you are not getting any voltage out of the stator, you may not be getting a magnetic field formed in the rotor.

Make sure that your rotor is good (check resistance, it should show IIRC, around 4 ohms). It should NOT read open, and NOT read 0 Ohms resistance.

When the rotor gets voltage, it produces the magnetic field that induces the AC that you see out of the stator.

As always, make sure EVERY connector is clean.

Comment

Errp, and make sure that the rotor is getting voltage. Not sure if I made that clear already.

Comment

Ok, now *I'm* confused. How do you supply voltage to the rotor, with it spinning on the end of the crankshaft?

Comment

down and durty test

disconnect all the wires going to the stator. use a continuity checker with tone. connect one end of the testor to the motor. with the other connect to each wire coming out of the stator. there are 3 of them two have dubble ends. if you hear the tone on any wire you have a open or shorted stator.

its fast way to find out if the stator is shot. most of the times it will burn out, letting oil seep in.

to test for voltage you need a simple test jig a two short wires with a connector on the end for pluging into the stator wirs and a algator clip on the other to clip on the test leads. or just make up a set of test leads with the bullit connector on the end. 9 times out of 10 low or missing voltage is becouse your trying to hold two test leads and wires to make contact. one will be open.

Comment

Re: down and durty test

Originally posted by gremlin
              its fast way to find out if the stator is shot. most of the times it will burn out, letting oil seep in.

What ? :?

Comment

Re: down and durty test

:-) :-), since the stator is supposed to be oil cooled, I sure hope a little oil "seeps" in. eh eh

Earl

Originally posted by moto_dan
                Originally posted by gremlin

What ? :?
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                X