Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS 850GZ headlight interchange possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS 850GZ headlight interchange possible?

Recently acquired a very nice '82 850GZ with Vetter fairing. I am interested in removal of the Vetter fairing until I feel comfortable with this bike (ride mostly mountainous fun roads). The problem is that I need a complete headlight/headlight bracket unit once the fairing is off.

A nearby Craiglister is parting out an '83 GS 750T (which has a round headlight assembly). None of the parts seem to share the same parts numbers. Is this swap possible (please remember that I need it all including the headlight/fork backets)?

I am sure the fairing is nice...I just prefer the "naked bike" thing!!

I think the forks are a different diameter 35 vs 37mm

Comment

I would bet that yours still has the ears tucked up in there with the wires. Mine did when I removed the fairing. Try looking in there first. Also, if they are there, pretty much any headlight that is similar in size will work.

Comment

I did the exact same thing, except the ratty, busted-ass Vetter went immediately into the trash...

Anyway, the headlight ears are probably still tucked in there. All you need now is the glass headlamp from the Vetter and a nice 7" headlight. I think the T model headlight might be a little narrow, but if that's what you have available, give it a try.

After farting around with too much broken rusty used crap, I bought a nice new chrome 7" headlight housing from CRC2 for $65:

You can also find some nice headlight assemblies here:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X