Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems starting

Hello,

I have problems starting my 1979 GS750e. The only way I can get it started is if I use the choke a lot (putting it on max for maybe 1 minute!). Is it bad using the choke too much?

I tried buying new sparkplugs but it did not help. I also figured it could be because the battery being worn out, but it is not.

Any help appreciated, I am a real newbie.

The GS's are cold blooded. The correct way to start is full choke and NO throttle. It doesn't sound like you have a real problem. Just ease the choke off as it warms up.

Comment

Re: problems starting

Using the choke will not hurt a thing. Do not use any throttle for starting because twisting the throttle cancels out the choke. It would be the same as trying to start a cold engine with no choke. regulate the rpm with the choke until the engine warms up a bit and rpm stays a steady 1000-1200 with minimal choke. At that point, push the choke all the way to off/in and slightly twist the throttle to hold rpm at a decent idle. Continue until it is warmed up enough to allow you to engage the clutch and ride off.
      Fuel pilot and idle airscrew settings have a large effect on idle and startup.
      For a 79 GS750, set the fuel pilot screw to 1 1/2 turns out and the idle air screws to 1 3/4-2 turns out.

Earl (yeah, I have a 79 750E) :-) :-)

Originally posted by GrovS
      Hello,

I have problems starting my 1979 GS750e. The only way I can get it started is if I use the choke a lot (putting it on max for maybe 1 minute!). Is it bad using the choke too much?

I tried buying new sparkplugs but it did not help. I also figured it could be because the battery being worn out, but it is not.

Any help appreciated, I am a real newbie.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thank you all for the help!

Comment

Working...
        X