Simple speedometer cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple speedometer cable question

Seems like a silly question but when you loosen a speedometer cable from the instrument cluster, can you pull the inside cable out of the sleeve? If you can, does that mean it's broke somewhere?

I'm trying to determine if I need a cable, the drive gear or both. Two different speedometers won't work.

Thanks.

Woodsie

Originally posted by woodsietx View Post
    Seems like a silly question but when you loosen a speedometer cable from the instrument cluster, can you pull the inside cable out of the sleeve? If you can, does that mean it's broke somewhere?

I'm trying to determine if I need a cable, the drive gear or both. Two different speedometers won't work.

Thanks.

Woodsie
    I think so. My cable's broken, and I was able to. Keep pulling the cable out, how it's broken might indicate that it needs attention, possibly in routing. That reminds me, I've got to order a new cable.

Comment

You can pull an intact cable out from the wheel end, but not from the speedo end.

Therefore, if you can pull it out from the speedo end, you have a broken cable and/or the fitting at the wheel end is detached from the cable.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you pull it from the speedometer end and it pulls out, it's either broken or the end has unscrewed from the cable down at wheel. If you find it's not broken, you can screw the driver end back on (counterclockwise, put red loctite or epoxy in to hold it and it won't do that again), don't screw it on too tightly or you'll ruin rhe cable and have to buy a new one. The speedo cable and tach cable are the same, but different lengths, by the way.

Comment

Working...
        X