fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork seals

as a newbie to this bike and bike's in general, are the fork seals difficult to change on my 85 gs700es. this bike has a connection from the front brakes to the forks Which is, I assume, to stiffen the forks when applying brake pressure. Is this going to be much more complicated than the typical fork seal job? Is there a good online resource for this?

Covelle, I changed the fork seals on my 1983 GS750ES (essentially the same as your bike) for the first time last summer. It is not a tremendously difficult job but it does require some preparation beforehand, and some patience during the work. The single thing that took the most time on my bike was sanding out a couple of grooves/scratches on one of the chrome legs which may have been responsible for causing the leaks.........there is not much point in replacing the seals if you leave the cause of failure untouched.

I highly recommend getting a service manual for your bike.........the pictures and diagrams alone really help in understanding what you have to do. I did put together a write-up (in a MSWord file) for the fork seal procedure on my bike and would be happy to send it to you if you PM me with your e-mail address. However, I must stress that I did the write up with the assumption that a service manual would also be available.

As for your question re: the brake lines/fork connection. This is not a problem. As I recall, all you do is undo the 2 little Allen head bolts that hold the anti-dive "actuators" to each fork leg???no brake fluid will spurt out, etc.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I just saw a post in the General Discussion forum about manuals (service manuals, I think): http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=11970
    You might want to check this out.

Comment

FORK SEALS

I ALSO HAVE A FORK SEAL THAT IS LEAKING AND I TOO WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE DIFFICULTY IN CHANGING IT MYSELF. I WOULD LIKE A COPY OF YOUR PROCEDURES. COULD YOU SEND ONE TO ravenator2@hotmail.com THANKS.

Comment

Re: FORK SEALS

Originally posted by need 4 speed
        I ALSO HAVE A FORK SEAL THAT IS LEAKING AND I TOO WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE DIFFICULTY IN CHANGING IT MYSELF. I WOULD LIKE A COPY OF YOUR PROCEDURES. COULD YOU SEND ONE TO ravenator2@hotmail.com THANKS.
        E-mailed it yesterday (Saturday 26th)........hope you got it OK.

Simon

Comment

Can I be a PITA and ask for the same MSWord file?

rake@shaw.ca :roll:

[quote="Simon Waters"]
          I highly recommend getting a service manual for your bike.........the pictures and diagrams alone really help in understanding what you have to do. I did put together a write-up (in a MSWord file) for the fork seal procedure on my bike and would be happy to send it to you if you PM me with your e-mail address. However, I must stress that I did the write up with the assumption that a service manual would also be available.

Hope this helps.

[quote]

Comment

Working...
          X