Course of action...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Course of action...

Well, finally have a course of action on the two 1100Ls. After looking closer at the 83, the engine is not even in the front mounts, it has a different head on her, both cases scraped, a lot of tinkering done, stripped bolts, so going to pull engine from 82, check her out, tear down, and put in 83..Both mills suffer from low compression, but may be just from sitting, valve clearance, ect... Got the frontend off the 83 and rebuilding forks now. Looking at tires, supprised though, 83 has a 17", 82 has 16" rear.. I still think I can get one good bike from the two, still debating on going with VMs, or CVs, the VMs are small 26s, I will have to go through both so I guess it will depend on the shape of them on tear down.. Will post pics later, low budget build...

What VM carbs did you get with either the '82 or '83 1100?

They should have both had CV-type carbs (BS series), and the intake boots on the head to match.

Check the diameter of the carb outputs to make sure they match the intake boots.
    Unless you have some aftermarket, larger VM carbs, they might not fit.
    26mm VMs will definitely not be enough carb for the bike, even if they do fit in the boots.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Exactly...

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      What VM carbs did you get with either the '82 or '83 1100?

They should have both had CV-type carbs (BS series), and the intake boots on the head to match.

Check the diameter of the carb outputs to make sure they match the intake boots.
      Unless you have some aftermarket, larger VM carbs, they might not fit.
      26mm VMs will definitely not be enough carb for the bike, even if they do fit in the boots.

Exactly, I think the head on the 83 is from a different bike, I don't know what interchanges, the intake boots are for the 26s, they are in pretty good shape to.. It will be interesting to see the markings on the head once I pull it..I am leaning toward the CVs, although the boots are shot on the 82, I can only hope the vacum boots are still in one piece, darn things are high dollar..

Comment

2 valve 750 is the only one that used the VM carbs, The 4 valve 750 all used the CV carbs

Comment

Don't think so...

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          2 valve 750 is the only one that used the VM carbs, The 4 valve 750 all used the CV carbs
          I'll take some pics of this head tomorrow, maybe we can figure out what its from? I was thinking someone swapped boots and carbs, but the head is different in minor ways, the cam chain housing section in front is not square like a 1100...

Comment

Originally posted by Ponderosa View Post
            I'll take some pics of this head tomorrow, maybe we can figure out what its from? I was thinking someone swapped boots and carbs, but the head is different in minor ways, the cam chain housing section in front is not square like a 1100...
            take some pics of the carbs too it just may be possible that someone put a sat of 29 mm smoothies on there

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              2 valve 750 is the only one that used the VM carbs,
              all models from 77 through 79 550 650 750 850 1000 used VM carbs in several different configurations and sizes but from 750 up all used VM26 with different jets and setting for each size bike

Comment

I'd suggest actually checking the displacement stamp on the front of the jugs of the motor with the VM carbs. I wonder if it isn't actually a 1000 motor since you say the motor mounts don't seem to line up. And I'm not positive but if I remember right the 1000E and G heads were the same, so it's possible, if that's the case that it has an older E head on it for whatever reason and that would explain the VM carbs. Or someone could have sloted the holes in VM boots to fit the CV head. Completely asinine but PO's do some dumb ass stuff. Just thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Completely asinine but PO's do some dumb ass stuff.
                  Really?

You're kidding, right?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here we go

The first pic is the 83 head mating area center front (I apologize for the crappy camera work, tried three times no better than this..

As you can see center screw mounting hole is not on the head!
                    See pic of 82, same spot..

Carb boots (26vm's) on 82 do not seem to be modified in any way..

All I can think of is the head came off of a much earlier model, kind of interested what..

Comment

Talk about POs

Nothing on this 83 matches! Check out the front fork tubes!

Comment

Starting the

Starting the teardown of the 82, going to use the engine, exhaust, and many other parts to build the 83. Didn't know the rear tire sizes were different in that ten month period to, 83-17" 82-16"... Anybody got a source for gaskets, mine wants $82 for a head gasket!

Comment

Got the engine out of the 82..

It is the cleanest of the two bikes, as far as stripped screws, scrapped cases ect.. As usual all but two of the exhaust bolts broke, this is after soaking in penetrating oil for a week with several apps... The usual always is a pain in the rear, broke one easy out today, now welding nuts onto whats left of bolts, got one out, five to go.... Why don't manufacters use never sieze, aluminum/steel, heat cycles, BAD! If anyone has a good 1100 head, hollar now and save me the agony...

Comment

Originally posted by Ponderosa View Post
                            Why don't manufacters use never sieze, aluminum/steel, heat cycles, BAD!
                            Come on, you know it will outlast the warranty without it.
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I would bet it is a gs1000 motor 2 valve are the end caps on the cam cover round or square

Comment

Working...
                              X