Trying again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying again

I am going to try one more time to get my GS650E running.

I purchased a rebuild kit for the carbs, and used the included jets, and the bike still doesn't run properly. I also replaced all of the O-Rings (including the ones on the boots). Now I have to figure out how to fix the air box. The connector on the top, that goes to the head, broke off.

I also noticed that the pilot jets were different when I first took the carbs apart. The pilot jet on #1 had no holes on the side, and the one in #4 had slightly larger holes on the side. Since I used the pilot jets that came with the rebuild kit (all the same size), the bike runs rich, doesn't idle, and dies if I don't keep the throttle at the right location.

Why would the pilot jets be different on #1 and #4?

Could some one please let me know how to repair the air box.

Thanks for all your help.

Pilot jets shouldn't be different. You have it right now with them all the same.

Look on ebay, and post in the parts wanted section on here and just find an airbox. 20 bucks tops, or just plug the hole in the airbox, and route a hose from the head to a breather filter.

Did you ever tear the carbs down and clean them? How are the mixture screw(s) set?

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
      Did you ever tear the carbs down and clean them? How are the mixture screw(s) set?

Yes I did tear down the carbs. I diped them once but I didn't leave them in long enough.(only 2 hours)

The bike has been sitting for 7 years. I need to dip them over night to make sure they are clear of varnish. I will take my time, this time, and do the job right. (Trying to get them back in is a pain)

The mixture screws are 1 1/2 turns out. I think I read here that out is lean and in is rich (CV Carbs). Am I right?

Thanks

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
        The mixture screws are 1 1/2 turns out. I think I read here that out is lean and in is rich (CV Carbs). Am I right?

Thanks

Ken
        no, OUT(counter-clockwise) richens the mixture, IN (clockwise) leans the mixture...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          no, OUT(counter-clockwise) richens the mixture, IN (clockwise) leans the mixture...
          Technically speaking, the mixture is set by the pilot air jet and the pilot fuel jet.

How much of that mixture is admitted to the intake tract is what you are adjusting with the screw.

Yes, since you are adding that mixtue to the air stream you are richening, overall.

After you get the carbs properly dipped and cleaned, start with the screws between 2 and 3 full turns out, not 1 1/2.

Last edited by Steve; 11-10-2009, 06:59 AM.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I will start tomorrow with the removal of the carbs. I will keep you up to date on what I find out.

Comment

What brand of rebuild kit did you buy? There are not a lot of good comments here about the quality of the rebuild kit jets. As I recall the OEM Mikuni pilot and main jets are about $ 3 each and it might not be a bad idea to get all new and correctly sized pilots and mains since you will have the carbs apart again.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
              81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
              83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
              06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
              AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Working...
              X